A little help...please.

bob_katz2

Hi friends: Im living in Mexico and found a guy offering the next gear I know

the price is very variable depend of the conditions, I ask for the posibility

of see and try some rolls, He is asking for all the items $dlls. 1,500., so I

need your expertise ..Do you think the price is fair? I will appreciate your

advice, since I am an amateur in love with leica gear...Best regards...

1. Leica M2 10874xx DBP Wetzlar GMBH

2. Leitz summicron M, 1:2/50, 34491xx

3. Ernst Leitz GMBH Elmar f=9cm, 1:4, Nr.11399xx

4. Nikor QC, 1:3.5 f=13.5cm, nippon Kogaky Tokyo, No. 2553xx<div>00MzSK-39191784.JPG.c7bb47e0130a44f05a317db3f084c097.JPG</div>

I agree, the price is fair as long as everything is working properly and in Very Good/Excellent condition. If you have the opportunity to inspect it before purchasing, make sure the camera is operating at all speeds and the glass is clean.

I know of someone who just bought a very clean M3 for $500 and a CLA'd Summicron 50/2 for $200.

If you add $300 for the other two lenses, the total would be $1000.

Your offer is for $500 more than $1000.

Give it some more thought. While maybe a fair deal, it is not a bargain offer requiring: "Buy it!"

Good luck.

You may be able to find it cheaper, but if you're in Mexico you're more limited. Bargains

come from knowing someone who's got it (do you know TWO people who want to sell

Leicas?), consignment deals (and most of what I see consigned locally is optimistically

overpriced), or from something local like Craigslist, where people are dealing for cash on

delivery and don't ship. Internet auctions like eBay aren't a likely source of a bargain: to

win, you must by definition pay more than anyone else thinks its worth. You can try the

classified ads here and on other web sites, but again, you're dealing with a knowledgeable

audience.

So I think the key question is: do you think you are in a position to bargain hunt, or do

you just want to buy this and use it now?

I'd check out the "recent auction" price guides at http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/; see

the "Nikon Rangefinder" listing for the 135 Nikkor.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

I've been out of touch with photo.net for some time so I just stumbled into your message. I hope you did get the stuff. The M2 is probably one of the most enjoyable Leica M models. I have one with a button rewind that I got in the US for $900 and although I have also a M6 and a MP (2003 model, not the original), the M2 is my tote around camera, usually fitted with a 4th gen. 35 'cron. This minimalistic outfit never fails to get me good images and I know it by heart (what's to learn but three simple controls that rapidly become 2nd nature?).

Enjoy your M2!

Regards,

--Jorge.