first time buyer advice needed

jamie_wood

Hi Folks,

I've just sold off my medium format kit to buy a large format camera. I'm

thinking of getting the Shen Hao new from Badger Graphics, but I have a couple

of misgivings. I've heard set-up and take-down is much longer with the field

cameras than the rails. I'm wondering if that camera can be folded and stored

with the lens on, or if the lens must be removed before folding.

Also, I'm thinking about trying to get a used arca swiss (because the camera can

be put away with the lens on) and wondered if anyone had any advice. There is

one on ebay right now that I'm seriously considering bidding on:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Arca-Swiss-4x5-View-10-Kodak-Commercial-Ektar-Lens_W0QQitemZ160168767760QQihZ006QQcategoryZ15247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone have any experience with this camera (the model pictured)? I've read

good reviews of the "f-line" but the seller doesn't say what kind his is.

any comments, tips, warnings, etc would be appreciated.

JT

Set up time is not much of an issue in field photography IMO. Also, the lens you "store" on any camera is probably not the one you want unless you are a one-lens person.

Anyway, the set up time is usually small compared to finding the right composition, getting the swings and tilts correct, and waiting for light (nature photography). That's not to say I haven't arrived late many times and hurried to get the shot. If you're doing studio photography, the set up time really doesn't matter much.

Once you get used to it the set up time for a flat bed field camera is not an issue. And being able to store the lens on the camera is in general, not a good criterion for lens selection, one-lens travel outfits notwithstanding.

BTW, take a look at the Ebony RW45 - best bang for the buck IMO, and can use longer and shorter lenses than the Shen Hao, not that the Shen Hao isn't a great camera.

The camera you cite is an older model Arca-Swiss, and while a great camera, not all current A-S accessories fit it. Others will know more than I. The pictured camera also has only base tilts while other similar vintage models have base and center tilts on the front standard. Also, a dent on the lens ring means you can't use screw in filter adaptors (This lens used push-on filter adaptors which MIGHT still work with a dented rim. Screw in filter adaptors would have to be custom made after repairing the dent). And $47 shipping seems a bit high, although not entirely unreasonable. The shutter is off, so plan on adding at $50 - 100 for a shutter service, and $100 - 125 for glass cleaning for a lens of this vintage.

Cheers,

Steve

It all depends on the lens. I can store my 150mm F5.6 Nikkor in the Shen Hao with the lens board reversed. I have a 90mm f6.8 Angulon that can be stored either way. The Shen Hao sets up really quick once you know what you are doing. Even if you can't store the lens in the camera it might take all of 15 seconds to mount one on the camera.

Scott

A wood field camera is a good starting point, especially if you want to pack the camera around. A Shen Hao or Tachihara would be a great first LF camera, and will hold their value very well.

The Arca Swiss F-Line is very nice, but to get the right configuration to be portable it becomes very expensive (3-5x what a Shen Hao would cost).

Check out the static content at the www.largeformatphotography.info website, as well as their forum. It has a lot of helpful information.

I'd spend more time thinking about which lenses you want, rather than the camera. With large format, camera's come and go but lenses tend to stay with you since they are camera independent.

I have a Linhof Technika and my wife has the Shen-Hao. The Shen-Hao is lighter for backpacking, easier to use with wide angles and has more movements than the Linhof. The Linhof is sturdier, less prone to shake (due to weight if nothing else)and has more bellows draw for long lenses. Both cameras use the Technika lensboards which is a bonus for us. I also have a Cambo monorail. It's great for static on location work ie. buildings, still life subjects etc. If you are going further than 300 meters from the car use a folding field camera IMHO.

I have been quite impressed with the Shen-Hao. IMHO it's a better camera than the Wista I use to own. Ebonys while beautiful well built cameras are horrendously over priced as far as I'm concerned. Maybe it's my Scottish blood.

Welcome to LF. The madness is just beginning.

Putting a lens on a camera takes seconds. And as Steve said, whatever lens you store on

the camera, you'll probably want to use the other one...... That would not even be on my

list of factors when considering what camera to buy. Setting up a field camera is simple

and can be quick if you practice a bit before going out in the field. The Shen-Hao seems

like a great first large format camera. You can use it for a while and get a feel for it and

see if there are any other features, etc you need. It might be a great camera for you and

you might have it for the rest of your life. No reason to spend more money or get

something more complicated up front.....I hope you enjoy your new adventure

I have the Linhof 45s and while I think its an outstanding camera it does pack some weight. For serious travel I would have to think about it. No such problem with wood field camera. I do however appreciate the movements and build construction. You don't have to start with the most expensive. I started with a broken down Graphic View monorail - you want weight! Wow. Quite heavy. Had great time with it and produced some memorable fotos. Sold it in Monterey for the large sum of $100, taking a $25 loss. I'm good.