EOS Utility won't install

ross_goldman

I have an IBM laptop T40 running XP Pro. When I try to install the Canon

software CD the EOS Utility won't install. It doesn't even show up in the list

of software about to install. All the rest of the software on the CD installs

fine. Two questions:

1) Has anyone seen this? Anyone know a fix? I've e-mailed Canon support several

times. We've tried things like disabling any software loading at boot up because

they thought something on my computer was interfering. None of their suggestions

have helped so far.

2) Is there some other way of getting RAW images off my camera (XTi) onto my

hard drive? That's all I really need the EOS Utility for. When I try using

Windows utilities to move the RAW files it turns them into JPG's.

Thanks in advance for any help/advise offered!

1. Is there a Download on the Canon support /drivers page for this program? The actual CD disk that your trying to install from might be damaged? 2. Try installing the microsoft RAW viewer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D48E808E-B10D-4CE4-A141-5866FD4A3286&displaylang=en When the program sets up, it will ask which files you want the viewer to open. 3. Click Start->Control Panal->Folder Options->File types and then scroll down to the file that you want to change and in the box it will show which program is opening that file, it's there that you can change the start program to whatever you like.Canon RAW files are either crw or cr2.

4.If you really need to install the EOS Utility, go back to canon and ask what services need to be running for the Utility to install, if you do this, they should put you in touch with a support person that has some knowege of windows.

Sorry, I should have provided a more complete description.

The CD is only a couple of months old. I know it's OK because I was able to install the EOS Utility on an older HP laptop I have. I don't want to use that computer because the USB ports are ver 1.1 - ***SLOW***! I really just want to get the RAW images onto my hard drive and edit them with DPP. Will the Microsoft RAW viewer (haven't heard of that one before) accomplish this?

<cite>I really just want to get the RAW images onto my hard drive and edit them with DPP. Will the Microsoft RAW viewer (haven't heard of that one before) accomplish this?</cite>

<p>The MS RAW viewer is exactly as its name suggests: a viewer. It's not a copying program, a RAW file converter, or an image editor. And they haven't updated it in nearly two years so I wouldn't be surprised if the XTi isn't supported by it.</p>

<p>But you say all you want is to get the images onto your hard drive. Get a card reader.</p>

<p>Windows doesn't need to know or care what to do with CR2 files in order to copy them from one drive to another. They're just files, and Explorer or other file managers will let you copy them from point A to B. I use Explorer in XP to copy CR2 files onto my hard drive from a CF card in my card reader all the time, and then I use DPP or EVU or ACR or the MS RAW viewer to do stuff with 'em.</p>

<p>If you use a card reader, your CF card appears as another mass storage device, just like a floppy diskette or a data CD. If you plug in the camera, it's a camera, not a drive, and you have to use a program which is aware of how to interact with the camera to copy the files - and as you've found, some such programs think that the only good image file is a JPEG.</p>

I've had the same problem. It cropped up after I had to replace a hard drive and the OS reloaded. It installed all but the twain driver. Not only that the twain driver for my Epson scanner refuses to load and just recently it decided the driver for my 870 printer was no good too. Also the card reader refuses to work. I still haven't figured out what is going on and find the situation close to infuriating as Microsoft refuses to answer any questions on this and the other software vendors are clueless.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ross,

I found your query searching for a solution to the same problem, I had recently re-installed xp. In the end my IT guru fixed it for me. The Eos Utility would not install (or even show up in the install options) due to a problem with my USB ports. To solve my USB problem I had to install service pack 2 for XP. After this the Eos utility showed up in the install options and installed with no problems. Hope this helps. If you need any more info about the usb problem leave another post and I'll give you the details.

Cheerio,

Rob