is it safe to by a lense on-line?

Hello,

I am about buying a lense canon 24-105 L for my Rebel XT -by the way, if you

have some comments on the lense, please do so :-)

I am looking on the web and I am surprised to see such a difference of price

for the same item between sites. Hence I was wondering if there is some risk

buying from the very cheap sites... for instance, www.shopcartusa.com or

www.1wayphoto.com are more than 30% less expensive than the others (B&H,

etc...)

Has anybody a feedback on those 2 sites? Is it safe to buy from them?

Thanks for your feedback.

Loic

"I was wondering if there is some risk buying from the very cheap sites... for instance, www.shopcartusa.com or www.1wayphoto.com ... Is it safe to buy from them?"

NO, NO, NO, NO!

Both of those sites are well known Brooklyn bait and switch SCAMMERS. Do NOT shop there!

Check out any vendors at the link Edward gave above, and do your due diligence. Use your head (common sense) - don't be played for a sucker. As a rule, stay away from any vendor that lists Brooklyn as a business address (ALWAYS check the "About Us" or "Contact Us" links on a vendors website).

Or just be done with it and go buy it at B&H.

To actually have bought a lens at 30% off would be splendid and safe, once you hold your desired lens in hand.

To pull this off would be a major victory over scam outfits.

You are free to try and beat the odds. Happens in football every weekend, the upsets of the rules and experienced understanding.

Tell us if you win 30%, and do not sob if you loose 60% of your money.

Your game!

Email the suspected vendor, tell them you will be in Brooklyn for a brief visit, and will come to their place of business with your credit card in hand, and will purchase and take the lens with you, even if it is a warehouse, you don't mind no fancy showroom. See what their response is. Then try that same exercise with B&H, or any of the other vendors that are that 30% higher.

If a site has anything ( like lens filters or lens ) advertised as Pro instead of the manufactures name, I would strongly suggest staying away form them. If they say it's Pro. quality, then they are the one's who are determined that they think it's Pro. quality. When you take them to court for selling you a set of Pro quality Filters for $460.00 that you later find at (just say) B&H for $68.00 dollars, they just say " Well in our opinion they are Pro quality". Depending on the judge, you have more then likely just lost your case.

I wanted to buy a $3000.00 Canon video camera for $1000.00 dollars, so I called Canon and asked them if the lens and view find were made on the camera, wouldn't they have to ship it and the engineer said no.

All they have to do is buy a repair body and ship that to you.

If a site has anything on it's site listed as Pro quality without the manufacturer's name stay a way. If your email receipt says you need to call them and verify anything (no mater what it is) I would call and see if they want you to change your order. If they do (for any reason) I would can-sell the order. If they refuse, tell them your going to call their state's State Attorney General. I can't advise you past that.

This is what I have learned from dealing with Express Cameras.com

Ray

Hello all,

Thanks for your great feedbacks. That will avoid a big mistake from me. But I a still puzzled that some wellknown scam outfits openly make business and are so easy to find on the net. Nobody sued them in the past...?

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Loic

FYI, I just went on www.1wayphoto.com to check out: YOU ARE RIGHT when you say the sell some "pro" UV filters without a brand name for $99! So, do you think they cheated for their rate? they SAY they have 5000+ reviews with 9.5+ rate!

If I had not had your good advices, I would have believed the numerous feedback...

Have a good week end; best season for shooting for me :-)

Loic

"So, do you think they cheated for their rate? they SAY they have 5000+ reviews with 9.5+ rate!"

Unfortunately, there are also fake ratings sites and price search engines, such as I suspect, the www.everyprice.com site referenced on the home page of 1wayphoto.com (funny how this "every"price.com site does not have a SINGLE entry for B&H Photo, the LARGEST photo retailer in NYC). These sites are run by, you guessed it, the same companies that own the Brooklyn scam shops. They are nothing but fronts for their sleazy operations, so naturally they get glowing reviews on these sites.

ResellerRatings.com is the only vendor rating site I personally put any faith or trust in. There may well be others, but resellerratings will suspend reviews or delete entries if they suspect bogus "customer reviews" that have been posted by the store staff themselves.

I am not a complete loyalist to B and H. I have given my camera money to J and R in NY, Amazon, Calumet, Adorama and one or two others. I not only compare and triangulate the sales price but consider shipping modes and fees. Some places will not ship USPS Priority even if one orders a single Super

Clamp and a brass coupling. That is where B and H leads the pack.

Amazon is best for sampling user comments, and for a no sweat return policy. They print the label and off it goes,pre paid return. I consider time on a hold menu to be a valuable asset as you do,especially if the hold music is not to my taste:-). If I have to sweat gumdrops to get online customer service,(name a couple computer brands) then I look elsewhere. The last lens I bought on line was from J and R in NYC. Pretty easy transaction. For light stands it is hard to find a better selection than B and H. For letting you know when an out of stock item is in stock,B and H wins again.

Although my preference is B&H, I have gotten a few good things from KEH, which offers some new lenses in addition to their vast collection of used lenses--most of which are better than they are rated. (They have a quirky search engine which works better the less information you put in. Brand and focal length as search terms will get you more than you want, but you will at least be able to pull up what you are looking for, if they have it in stock.)

I also bought my virtually faultless Canon 5D new from KEH in 2006 at a very good price. They are also good about letting you return a used lens, no questions asked, within a reasonable period of time.

I have a very good Nikon 600mm f/4 manual focus lens that I bought on eBay, but be sure that you go with a seller who has very, very good feedback scores on lots of items. I have yet to be burned on a lens through eBay, but it certainly happens to lots of people.

When in doubt, stay with B&H or Adorama or some other reputable dealer--but, if a slightly older lens is no longer for sale at B&H, then KEH or eBay can be viable alternatives.

--Lannie