Canon 5D Mark II

sparagmos

Hey everyone.. so i have heard some rumors online in regards to Canon releasing

the Canon 5D Mark II. Heard that it has a higher resolution..16MP. So is this

going to be the same thing like a new release of 40D a couple of months after

the 30D came out? Anyone care to share about their thoughts? Here is a link..

http://www.photographybay.com/2007/09/18/canon-5d-mark-ii-coming-november-2007/

I personally think that when it comes out it'll have 16mp Digic III, 14-bit RAW, sRAW format, 3" LCD, Live View, 4-5fps, and some weather-sealing...

What's that? Oh, those things are all in the OP's link?

As you can see, everyone's pretty much expecting the same things. The exact same things. Any significant deviation from that list would be a real surprise.

The only mystery is price.

The problem with all of the advance speculation wrt to camera rollouts is that by the time the camera is introduced, all of the new features seem old hat. "Yawn [read list of features]. No surprises here. Next!"

"The only mystery is price."

Usually ... USUALLY ... the price for an item that positioned at a certain point in the market range comes down only slowly.

I'd expect it to debut at whatever it's forerunner dubuted at, or slightly below (say 10% max) - initially anyway - too much R & D & tooling up to recoup!

I think its going to be more than $3000. Ofcourse, this will result in a price drop for the first Canon 5D, but that's nothing new.. Camera's are now becoming a lot like computers! Buy one and it is outdated before the end of the year.. What will be next.. Canon 1D Mark X.. I guess its just best to master the camera you have and when you feel that you need something better, save up and buy the latest. And honestly.. I am contemplating buying this camera, because it does not have the 1.6X crop feature that the xt, xti, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D have. First lets see what the professionals have to say. I was at Bromfield camera in downtown Boston, and had a chance to talk to a professional.. and he told me.. use your camera till it dies.. then get another one. I can see his point.. but he also let me take a picture with his Canon 5D and wow.. was it amazing! So.. i guess its time to save up.. :P

Well, everyone's got their opinion and there's no reason to suppose that a "professional" has better insight into camera purchase than anybody else. But the advice to "use your camera till it dies" seems spot-on to me. If you bought a camera that suited your needs, there's no need to replace it unless (a) it dies, or (b) your needs change. The fact that there are new cameras on the market doesn't affect what you do.

Yeah Brian, I happen to agree with you about "everyone's got their opinion" part. But people who literally depend on their photography for their livelihood probably have a better idea about what cameras meet or exceed their expectations. I have my opinion, and I believe that the upgraded model of the 5D is going to be kickass and its going to be a part of my arsenal in the future! :)

• 2 weeks later...

One of the interesting thing about the Canon 5D successor rumours is that they actually started more than a year ago - in fact, I found some dated May 2006. <p>

I guess still nobody actually knows neither if or when a successor is due, though the best time for Canon to announce it would probably be on the same day that the Nikon D3 hits the shops so that people will consider waiting to see what the 5D MkII is like...

<p>

As for me, I've been considering the 5D for the last few weeks, but if the next 5D is less than 5 months away, perhaps I could live with my Rebel XT for a bit longer and make sure that whatever lenses I buy will keep my options open.

• 2 months later...

Lets be honest...these rumours of 200MP resolution and 128 bit processing are really old hat. The first time any of this came to light was in 1934 along with the model Y Ford....expectaions , expectations....

Are Canon going to cure the dust problem? Will it work outside in anything more than ground-fog?

Does it matter? Will my hair grow back, am I over-stating the case?

Yep!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.. so here is another rumor..

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d2_3d_7d.html

Come on.. Canon.. tell us about the release.. yea right.. i really doubt that this will happen.. especially after the release of the new Xsi! Talk about losing on sales.

Either way.. i know some time eventually the 5D Mark II/7D/ 3D will be released. As some of you guys said.. its a never ending cycle.. its like computer processors.. and photoshop and windows versions.. wonder if they will ever include a software upgrade to upgrade functions/hardware performance of a camera? Umm.. here is a idea for Canon to work on! Unleash your power oh mighty Canon!

• 11 months later...
<p>OK, so now its out.. anyone care to share their experiences with this baby? All the hype about this camera was totally worth it.. or so I hear. Now is there anyone with the new 5D Mark II who wants to share their personal experience with it? Let us all know.. :)</p>