Any Merit Competition Judges out there???

giggles

Hi all - I would like to enter my first merit competition but have no idea on

which prints I am going to enter. I can have up to four entries. If any are you

are familiar with the Merit judging process, I would greatly appreciate some

feedback as to which of my images might qualify. Most of my best images can

been seen in my gallery on PN. A huge thanks in advance for anyone that takes

the time to scroll through my gallery - (I know I should probably weed some of

the photos out).

Emily

Emily,

It sounds like you are going to enter a PPA print competition. Is that right? If so and you are a PPA member you can go to www.ourppa.com and look at the forums there. (I think you have to be a PPA member, not just a local affiliate member, to register and login.) There is tons of great info and you could post your question there. The great thing is you can post your images there and have others give you feedback, which I would highly recommend.

Mark G. Woods

M.Photog. CPP

Thanks Mark - I am thinking of joining PPI which is for Iowa. I think that is all I need to be a member of for a convention in January. Maybe I am wrong... I will look up the website you mentioned and check it out. I have been receiving the magazine and LOVE it.

Emily,

The print competition is a great thing to do. You will learn a lot.

PPI would be your regional affiliate of the PPA. They probably have two conventions a year. Usually you can win local/state/regional awards at each print competition regardless of your PPA membership or non-membership.

http://www.ppiowa.com

Keep in mind that you cannot receive "merits" unless you join the PPA also. It is well worth it if you plan on earning your Master of Photography degree or other degrees. It is also the only place you can get indemnification protection as part of the yearly dues. In other words, if you have a major problem say at a wedding, your camera fails, you over slept, or the brides is an idiot and sues you because she only got 499 images and you promised 500, then the PPA lawyers will go to bat for you.

Mark