Leica: Still no response from DAG...

Your experience is similar to mine with this repairman. I sent an M6 to him on 23 July and subsequent e-mails were not answered. I was told that he does not respond to them and my experience bears this out. Three weeks ago I did receive an e-mail from him stating my camera had been CLA'd and sent back to me (I had paid in advance). The return took another week with UPS ground.

In all fairness, the camera is in better condition than it was. Works much smoother and the VF is much clearer. My old 'cron no longer has a catch in the focus adjustment and it is cleaner than it ever was.

Here comes the "however" I find the lack of communication frustrating and will not use this repair source again. DAG has a host of loyal customers which is all to his credit but I will find someone else next time. John

I sent him my M6 for a CLA at the end of July and got it back on Friday, and he was fine responding to my emails. I know he took a brief vacation during this period (first one in 13 years if I recall correctly), so I'm sure he's a little backed up. I've never had a problem with Don, who I've used over the last 12 or so years. I do know he prefers to spend his time repairing rather than chit-chatting, and that's ok with me.

Hi Stephen! Thank you for your information. As long as he is back in business, it's OK with

me as well. Well I guess you waited more than two months for your M6. My parcel to him

included 3 barnacks and M2 and something I can't remember. Another month or so? I find

your information very helpful. Thank you.

DAG is one of the very best- and lots of folks know this. I think he has a lot of work backed

up, and it seems he has better things to do than spend time answering email (for whatever

that's worth in customer service terms). <p>In April I sent him a lens which had been

dropped five feet onto cement, and the helicoil was badly damaged. He managed a miracle

and fixed it, but I didn't get it back until August. If you want him to work on your gear these

days, you have to be patient.

Word has it he is totally swamped with work. Since he has no secretary, he works cameras to get them returned asap.

Send UPS and track the shipment to be sure it is received.

I used to just send an E mail asking for a response only if the package was not received. He also will pick up the phone, but keep it short, 20 sec.

You will get your camera back and it will have been properly serviced. Don is just not a great communicator. Eventually, he does sit down and answer his emails. Please let us know how you feel about your camera after you get it back and use it.

Don has worked on my equipment on several occasions. He's a one-man shop, is always

swamped and too busy. He does excellent work.

I just call if I need to get an answer. He usually picks up the phone. Do remember that time

spent answering the phone does not reduce the time it takes to get the work done. As a one-

man-shop myself, I know how a single phone call can take away quite a bit of a day's work

time.

Godfrey

I've had two cameras worked on by Don. His work is absolutely first rate. I had my M6TTL

checked in the last year for a possible shutter problem and Don went to incredible effort to

check and adjust the shutter. He even buffed down the pressure place and cleaned the

shutter opening to make sure all the possible sources of the reported problem were covered.

I had him do the anti-flare finder upgrade while he had the camera. He was easy to

communicate with, especially by phone. He is one of the very best!!!!!

I sent Don two M6s for viewfinder patch upgrades earlier this year (before his vacation) and

they were finished AND returned to me WITHIN three weeks. I sent him e-mails before (for a

price quote) and after (thanking him for terrific service). He answered both e-mails within 30

minutes of my sending them. It's a $ 180 service but well worth it. No more whiteouts! I'm

planning on a CLA for my SL2 in the near future and will definitely use DAG.

I've asked questions of DAG via email a few times in the past, and each time they were

promptly and helpfully answered. Talked to Sherry a couple times on the phone too.. From

every indication both are top notch people and the best at what they do.

The problem is the manufacturer is not setting up enough service agencies in this country. Many companies make good money on service ask any car dealer. All these old Leicas need periodic services, accidents happen and when they do owners who love their cameras fix them instead of upgrading to new. In this atmosphere a mom and pop craftman needs to do the work first and talk and email later. Thats why backup is needed so you can have gear to shoot during maintenance cycles. If this man spend two hours a day less on fixing while he corresponded you will be waiting longer for his attention on your camera. I blame Leica for not having more authorized service available. It might cost more but if turnaround time is vital you must either pay the price or not waste time crying about it.

Don had my M7 for 6month and could not repair it due to lack of parts. Now Leica NJ fixing it. Due to poor communication and horible service I been without my camera for about 8month. I will never send anything to him again! My vote for Leica NJ!

One thing people should be aware of. Unless things have changed in the past couple years,

in my experience neither Don nor Sherry nor Steve Choi in Los Angeles are capable of fixing

electronic issues with the M7, and I assume the same with the M8. In this case you need to

send your camera to Leica. My memory of their repair service is that it is good, but that they

also did not place a high priority on answering emails. Too many Leicas, not enough time..

I sent Don an M6 for upgrade and an R6 with a slow mirror. When I inquired how it was going, Don emailed to tell me he had cleaned the mirror damping device; that this only cured the problem temporarily; and he would have to work on it some more and take some time with it. Eventually I got both cameras back, with everything done just right.

So I think that Don does respond when there is something specific to say, like a problem he's working on. He just doesn't send "I'm busy, keep your shirt on" messages.

I won't use him again. My IIIf developed horizontal streaks visible on light backgrounds. Camera returned in just a few weeks with one new curtain and $200 invoice. Not tested as problem still existed. Returned to him again and he replaced the second curtain, after three months, charging me for parts only, another $50. Still not usable. I'm down almost the value of the camera when you include shipping & insurance four times. No, I didn't pay the second invoice.

Fails in the shipping department as well. About four years ago a package arrived, bearing his address. Contents included a M-2 and 50 Summilux, both in excellent+ condition - obviously well cared for by the owner. But I wasn't the owner. He lived 2,000 miles away, and we shared the same last name. I called him, told him I had the package and immediately insured and returned it. He's lucky that most people are very honorable.

Sherry, on the other hand, did a wonderful job on a lens. Price was her original estimate and it was returned in about ten days. Not sure if she still is doing SM bodies.

I'm close to Toronto so I'll be going to Kinderman with sample photographs from the IIIf. I think it is a baffle causing a light leak. Otherwise, the camera is useless except as a nice paperweight.

It may be that the increased turnaround time reflects increasing interest in high-end mechanical cameras. The increased amount of (not inexpensive)work being sent to the Leica repair shops is obviously originating somewhere.

Three years ago the turnaround time for DAG was six to eight weeks, earlier this year the turnaround ran about 12 weeks. Don told me (telephone call by me) that the amount of work coming into his shop had increased significantly. There is no surprise here, DAG has a fine reputation for the quality of his work, he has many customers waiting in line, and his turnaround has always been long.

Sherry Krauter's turnaound time is also lengthening, it appears. She used to finish normal CLA's in three weeks or less but needed four weeks for a CLA I had done last month. Sherry does no work on Barnack Leica's now.

I have been very unhappy with work done at Kindermann and had to return a IIIg after a CLA because the camera had not been reassembled correctly. It was eventually necessary for me to have the camera overhaulled by a different shop to get it working properly.