Please help me understand this:

My dslr has a 2:3 aspect ratio and it's easy to get 4x6 inch prints (sort

of--see below) but few on-line printers offer 2:3 enlargements between 4x6 and

20x30. If 2:3 is so darn standard why is is so hard to get 6x9, 8x12 or 12x18

prints?

Also, I ordered a bunch of 4x6 prints from ritzpix and thought it would be nice

if they had borders: turns out the borders came at the expense of image (that is

things got cut off)--is that standard operating procedure?

If you accept that a matt will be needed, your options open up. Take any frame size that's closer to square than the the 2/3 ratio, and start subtracting inches off the width and length. Eventually, and hopefully before you're down to a little postage stamp size, you get down to a 2/3 ratio matt opening.

Here's an example of off-the-shelf frames available:

https://store.opusframing.com/sagro/storefront/store.php?mode=browsecategory&category=1600

Plus, online frame makers like American Frame can make up anything you want.

Then you have to consider your print media. 13x19 with a 1/2" margin all round is 12x18. It can also print a couple of 8z12. 8.5x11 could print 7x10.5 or 6x9.

Matts can either be custom cut, or you can get a matt cutter and give it a try yourself. I got a Logan cutter model 450 that can cut full matt sheets but is a little cheaper than their top model. Works quite well.

If you pop a glossy print into a frame behind glass without a matt, you stand a good chance of the print sticking to the glass. What I've done as a temporary solution in these cases is to put the print in front of the glass.

Photo finishers have beem making bordered prints simply by cutting off the image area for 5 decades I know of. Got nothing to do with digital.

My best guess is they need not change the set up of the machine to make a 1 3/4 x 2 3/4 print inside a blank image area. Pure sloppy work.

I needed a 6 3/4 x 10 print fast. I interneted it to Ritz only to find they don`t make that size. My solution was to paste the print i needed on a 8x10 white background. Now I got full fram 35mm on 8x10.

Good photofinishers do provide full frame in large sizes like 8x12.

MPIX.com

Easy answer: go to Mpix. They offer 4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 10x15, 12x18, 16x24, and 20x30. Mpix gives high-quality prints at reasonably prices. They ship promptly and pack well. The only real downside is that they don't offer a regular glossy surface. Your paper choices are Kodak "E surface" (closer to matte) color paper, Kodak metallic color paper, and Ilford "pearl surface" B&W paper. Give 'em a try.