Simple Studio Set Up with 550EX and Umbrella

emeryfoto

Hi, I bought an umbrella and stand about 5 years ago and still haven't used

them, I'm ashamed to admit. I learned studio lighting (with strobes) in

college, but that was ... ahem.. years ago, and I need to learn all over

again.

I usually do all-natural light portrait photography, but am really interested

in doing some simple studio set-ups, at least of my own children to start.

I have a 550EX flash, the stand, umbrella, and a Canon EOS Elan 7.

A very basic question - Can I use a sync cord to trigger the flash or do I

have to use the Canon transmitter (don't have one yet)...

Any other suggestions, ideas? I'd appreciate it - thanks!

Sync cord--yes, however if the Elan 7 doesn't have a PC socket, you will need a hot shoe to PC adapter (cheap at B&H or other camera stores). You might need a long sync cord or an extender cord. Or you can get the ST-E2 or try your luck with those cheap e-bay radio triggers. Might want to start reading the strobist site.

Hi Nadine - I'm presuming Katie would be shooting in Manual mode in that situation, I've just looked at the 'spec for the camera which states that it is a simple 'pull up' to use in manual? (I'm a Nikon user so not too familiar with the EOS ettl etc) so I can't see any reason for it not to work.

The advantages of using the slave would be - no lead to trip over and very cheap!

Nikon's on board flashes can be used in manual flash mode, but most Canon's on board flashes can't be used that way--unless I'm missing something. Canon's on board flashes also can't be used in their own wireless system to trigger off camera flashes, even in ETTL. Silly, but true.

OK--did some research. The pop up flash uses plain TTL, and can't be used in flash manual mode. But plain TTL has no pre-flash, so Nick's suggestion can work (I think), but you do have to dial down (minus compensate) the pop up so it has a minimal effect on the subject. You may not be able to dial it down enough, and some people have resorted to blinders (black paper shields, etc.) for the pop-up.

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure Nick is not correct. In order to trigger with Canon pop-ups, you need to use a trigger that will sense and ignore the preflash, and fire when the flash fires the second time to illuminate the scene.

You can trigger by cord if you get a "peanut" like the one Nick posted, but with a PC port to go under the 550EX.