Advice for change in physical capability

Hi,

Due to changes in my physical capability (i.e. two herniated disks in my lower back, plus getting older -

60+), I can no longer carry the equipment load I have in the past nor walk quite as far or high, and I need

some advice about retooling. The majority of my work has been macro and landscape (see

www.renetheberge.com) on a tripod (can't really hold a camera steady for a variety of other reasons) for

which I've used a Nikon F90X and a Mamiya RZ with an assortment of lenses, filters, etc. I've carried this

gear in two types of packs by Lowpro; one a backpack with all the right staps, belts, etc. to make it as easy

as possible and the other a pack with wheels. Both are too much at this point. I need to simplify and still

be able to do a range of photography. I think I've reached the end of my macro work as a main focus,

although I'd still want to dabble occasionally. I'll probably work more in the areas of landscape and am

open to new areas. One other point, I'm really not interested in transitioning to digital (I do have a pocket

sized digital for snaps and that is enough) and want to stay with film. I'd like advice on on a light weight

gear package - 35mm or medium format - that I can easily carry around (including tripod), but will still

allow me to shoot a range of subjects.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Rene

Hi Rene

I would limit myself to just one lens and a monopod for short walks. A 50mm macro is my favorite 1 lens solution. I add a 24mm (all in film format)and 85/135mm for longer excursions. Add a white plastic bag for macro work as reflector and to kneel on it and as rain protection and a polarizer and maybe a small external flash.

What do you think? greetings, Markus

Rene, sorry to hear of your situation. I get a lot of back problens and walking is now quite restricted. I used to be able to carry a LF camera, heavy tripod and all the trimmings but now usually carry a single SLR camera body (digital as it happens but it makes no odds) and two lenses - the Canon 17-40 L for most landscape work and then select from my other lenses the second lens to take. It is most often the 70-300 IS for longer shots. This all fits into a surprisingly small bag with a few filters etc. If using a tripod I take a very lightweight one probably too light in theory but better than nothing. Usually the tripod stays n the car tough.

Best wishes.

Rene, same problem here and I still take gear into the field, I'm just more selective now and try to trim to bare esentials. One thing that has really helped is a waste pack with lens cases that can be attached. I almost always carry my 6lb. tripod, and I find it helps to keep me from trying to contort and bend so much. I also wrapped two legs with foam insulation tape for softness when carried on my shoulder. For me, a larger part of adjustment is knowing how I must now avoid the bending, stooping and jumping I used to do. I made a 4"x4" foam pad to put under my knee for lower level shots which really helps. Stretching before heading out is another good rule.

For landscape the Mamiya 7 rangefinder is highly recommended (if you still like the 6x7 format). Or perhaps try a lightweight 35mm rangefinder for all-round shooting, maybe from that famous German camera manufacturer that starts with L...

SLRs weight more or less all pretty much the same in one format and are rather bulky (compared to rangefinders or zone-focusing cameras), but if you need one, try to select only a handful (or less) of lenses for your trips.

Rene: Without knowing how bad your back and the herniated disks are, it's hard to give advice. I assume you've seen a surgeon for an opinion. Decompressive surgery would make a world of difference if it's indicated. As with everything else there are some risks involved with surgery. But, when needed, and then performed, the surgery is so life changing as to be that dramatic.

Also, I read the biography of George Eastman, you know, Eastman Kodak. He was an avid big game hunter and so forth. He shot himself to death because he had been diagnosed with spinal stenosis. This ailment is eminently treatable by today's technology.

That said, if I could only carry one body and one lens, then I would seriously think about a digital SLR such as the Nikon D80 and the 18-200VR zoom. It would give you all around capability at the lowest weight and biggest bang. And you don't have to carry film and all the rest. Put it on a monopod and you've got support for your camera and your walking. As an alternative I've also got a hiking pole for which I purchased a tripod head. With digital, my camera bag keeps getting roomier. There's so much less that is bare bones essential that I keep checking because my bag seems so empty these days.

I've always been a travel light person and mainly interested in travel and scenic pictures. I always used a Retina IIa but last year went to Italy with a Konica C35MF in a pouch with a belt loop and a spare roll of film in my pocket. I found it a very pleasant way to travel and photography did not interfere with tarveling in subways, seing museums, or eating in restaurants, nevertheless the camera was always handy. Hope your condition improves and you continue to enjoy photography.

Hi Rene

At 55, I suffer from a bad back, knee and congested heart. To counter the affects of these age related body degradations, I'm forced to work out with weights, stretches of the hips/lower back and fast paced cardio walks and jogs (two and three miles), four to five times a week. I'm sure you're onto my above, just sharing as in, been there, done that. Darn! :)

As to weight and the camera question? Decent or quality (expensive) camera carrying equipment? The cat's meow is the ThinkTankPhoto's line of waistbelt (system) gear. I repeat, every bit the expensive part but less than the price of a quality prime. You can buy a "Speed Belt" or "Steroid Speed Belt" and add bags, system style, one at a time if monies tight; fixed income. The gear? Worth every penny in versatility, wight savings, quality of build and comfort dynamics. The owner of Think Tank Photo was the head design developer for Lowepro and has worked very hard, over the past many years to come up with an excellent, broad based gear set, for "all" applications for all styles of photographers from traveling pros to casual weekend/vacation shooter. There's a "huge" following of owners of TT gear over on the fredmiranda.com "General Gear-talk" forum if you have follow-up questions.

"I need to simplify and still be able to do a range of photography. I think I've reached the end of my macro work as a main focus, although I'd still want to dabble occasionally."

As you transition to "light weight" it may require retooling the whole of your equipment mix at a cost of several thousand dollars. Yikes! :O The good news, it can be done, one piece at a time, over the long haul, giving you something to look forward to. :) I know I enjoy letting the gearhead in me loose every couple of months. "Oh boy, new toys!" :)

First:

For a backpack, consider a Lowepro Slingshot 200. Pick your gear for the outing and leave all other gear at the shop or in the car. You might find the SS-100 too small and the SS-300 waaaaay too large. Another good mix is to have a ThinkTankPhoto (TT) belt, set up with several bags (keeps weight low on the hips and off the back) coupled with a Photo Vest for filters, cleaning gear, TC's, extension tubes, batteries or what-nots. Domke photo vests get the ravs. I have and use each of the above setups as I have literally a closet full of carrying gear and belong to a small group of fellow FM "Bag-a-holics." :)

Second:

Carbon fiber tripods and monopods topped with "TopDog" ballheads using the Arca-Swiss clamping system. Many TopDog ballheads at this level, so it's a personal choice thingy. A good place to start would be Really Right Stuff (RRS). Their BH-40LR II is the gold standard. Markins (Markins America) Q-3 and Q-10 also get the nod in the Gold Standard department. Again, there is no perfect ballhead as it's all about personal choice and there are many quality ballhead manufactures. Weight and quality of build are paramount at this level of play.

In the tripod department, it really is a two tripod world but the gold standard for the lightweight category is Gitzo's 1540. Feisol makes a good knock off but only because they violate Gitzo's patents. Not quite as good as a Gitzo but about half to a third of the price. There are many other manufactures of CF legsets but my saying in regard to Gitzo and Gitzo's renown quality compared to all other manufactures of legsets.... "Gitzo, what every other tripod wishes they could be." :) The three reining champs in the Gitzo line, each for differing reasons are the 1530/40, 2530/40 and the 3530/40 legset lines. Each one being a bit more robust then the lower model and each one being a bit more heavier and larger. I use the 1540 topped with a BH-40LRII (column removed and a top plate added for weight reduction and stability increase_ and a 1325 w/1321 leveling base topped with a Bogen/Manfrotto 468MG w/RRS lever clamp; not the lightest of legsets but definitely a stable package. I have a RRS L-bracket on the camera body which allows one to flip the orientation of the body and still maintain camera perspective; center. Especially useful when doing macros.

Monopods, I use a Gitzo GM-2560T for up to a 10D/grip w/100-300/4.0 attached. Uber light and compact; twelve ounces. For heavier gear, then a GM-2540 comes to mind, heavier, longer and made for heavier gear but still light and compact to it's aluminum counterparts. I have and use a Bogen/Manfrotto 682B and a Gitzo GM-2560T. The 2560T is my main squeeze but for beating off bear attacks, the 682B can't be beat. :) Monostats are getting a lot of positive press but they're aluminum as opposed to the more desirable carbon fiber.

Lastly, primes. A good prime set goes a long ways but you lose the convenience of quality zooms. Personal choice; image quality vs weight vs convenience. I'm digital (came from a film background in the 60's/70's) and carry a full set of lenses cased (Pelican 1510/1620) in the trunk and then fill to my waistbelt system as needed. I use a mix of primes and zooms, coupled with the ever present monopod for image quality; stability.

There are many, many, many (ad nauseum) choices. The choices I listed are what I consider to be the gold standards of the market place; many years of experience but still only a personal opinion.

I could ramble on in regard to your above stated situation for a few more hours but trying to be pithy in my above. Hope the above gives you insight and encouragement to keep on, keeping on.

Hi Rene, I've been through all of what you are suffering plus considerable age difference--next month I reach the double seven. My work had always been field work mostly with medium format plus 35mm. I finally gave that all up as I transitioned into digital. As Victor Ho stated above, your camera bag will get lighter and lighter. Where I used to carry two bags and a tripod, I am down to a mini bag about 8X7X6 inches. I also carry my lightest tripod, and I carry a 5 gal. bucket with a lid for a chair. The buckets are available at larger home improvement stores and permit you to rest as you go along to where ever you are heading. They also permit you to work close to the ground for those macros. I keep my small camera bag inside the bucket, which I have padded for additional protection.

This aging process doesn't seem to improve, so what ever you can do to help eliminate gear helps. I agree, digital is not like medium format, but you can do a lot with it. In some ways, you might even find it a step up. Keep that spirit up and stick with it.

As I have some knowledge in this area, I repeat that one should be certain that a correctable condition is treated. Not always, but in sone cases a serious condition can reversed and considerable relief can be gained. Body transplants and so forth are another issue for a different political forum.

Age, even double sevens, is not necessarily a barrier anymore. Technology has been changing rapidly comparable to the film to digital transition. This may or may not be good. But, at least there are new and exciting options.

Hello Everyone,

First, let me thank all of you for your kind and generous responses to my question. You

have all given me something to think about. It is also helpful to know that others have

dealt with these kinds of problems.

That said I'd like to respond at least minimally to several of your suggestions.

Ray House - These are helpful suggestions. My tripod legs are already wrapped in foam,

but the pad is great. I've been taking pilates lessons in how to move which has been a big

help.

Bueh B. - I love the idea of a Mamyia 7 and have been thinking of it for awhile, but it is out

of my price range as of yet.

Victor Ho - Victor, thank you for your thoughtful advice. Without going into all the details,

surgery is not an option (nor the wisest course of action) right now. Perhaps in the future.

Art Haykin - As always, Art, you manage to find humor in a situation. I've done this to

some extent, but it is not always a convenient solution.

Tom Gardner - I have a similar regime to keep me moving, but sometimes just the

slightest wrong move lays me out for several weeks. Having to be conscious of movement

every second is tiring, but it does force one to learn how to focus. I've been trying to turn

it into a meditation practice. I must say your situation makes me feel quite fit and healthy!

Thanks for the help in keeping it all in perspective.

Your thoughtful and extensive response offers a lot to think about. I will follow-up on the

ThinkTank Photo idea. A new ball head is in the works as although my main head has

been the wonderful (for marco and landscape), it is a very heavy Bogan 410 Gear head.

Tripod suggestions are useful as is your other advice, but as you say a step at a time due

to cost considerations.

Bill Tate - Thanks for the encouragement.

Again, thanks to all for your responses. Additional thoughts, particularly for medium

format equipment, are welcome.

Rene

Rene, my hip joints have been replaced 8 times, so carrying weight has always been a

concern. If I were to travel light, I'd go with a carbon fiber tripod. In 35mm, a wide to

medium zoom and a medium to moderate telephoto zoom may be tolerable; in some

locations, only one of the zooms might be required. In medium format, I use a Pentax

645NII with four zooms; however, I can take just one of the zooms (most often the

45-85mm). However, I've just purchased the Mamiya 7II, and I can't believe how light it is.

It's much different from any other camera I've owned (being a rangefinder), and the optics

aren't as versatile, but if the sharpness is anything near what people have said, I'll be

happy. I got the body and 80mm lens new from Robert White in England, and am getting

the 55mm (and viewfinder) and 150mm lenses used. If I want to go ultralight, the Mamiya

and 80mm lens might be unbeatable for high quality (but with a loss of some versatility - I

have to zoom with my feet).

Rene, I can't speak to portability for landscape work, but if you've been successful in macro work, why not bring your subject matter to the camera at a table top? In situ macro photography can be strenuous for anyone (I am also 60 years old, but with bad knees). My best photos recently have been leisurely table-top macros with a minimum of fussing with light.

Rene,

I might be only 30 but I'm a veteran of knee surgery (this year) and back surgery (in 2002) already and I'm probably about a year away from hip surgery if things continue they way they are going. One of the best things you can do for yourself is in the area of weight distribution. You want things to fit right and you want the weight to be even on your shoulders. Steer clear from any bag with only one shoulder strap like the slingshot, as it will unfortunately distribute weight unevenly on your shoulders and back. It's a nice bag, but I wouldn't use it. When you are packing your bag, pack it as evenly as possible. Your best bet is to take some gear to a local shop and try out new bags. What fits well for one isn't necessarily going to fit well for you.

Obviously, pack light. If you 'might' need something, leave it at home or in the car. I don't have a lot of gear, but I also cut down on the extras that I might want to bring. I buy whatever food or drink I need wherever I happen to be instead of carrying it around. Sounds like you need a tripod, so the carbon fiber varieties are obviously the way to go. Much lighter.

Here's a tip that seemed to come from out of left field when my physical therapist said it to me: If you carry your wallet in your back pocket, take it out and put it in your front pocket and leave it there for the rest of eternity. Period. Believe it or not, it makes a big difference in the alignment of your spine when you are sitting down. Sounds silly, but it works.

The other things are to wear the right shoes for the occasion, know when to sit down and take a breather, and pay closer attention to your posture. I wasn't doing any of the right things when my problems started, it took the 10 months of total misery from onset to recovery from surgery to get my attention. A harsh way to learn, but such is life.

Good luck.

Karen