EOS 5 D

Funtak

Yesterday I have bought a new Canon EOS 5 D in Zagreb, Croatia. Today, after

maybe 50 shots, something went wrong: only automatic program is working ( green

icon), B,M,Av,Tv, P - nothing. For a year I have XT 350 D and I have made

thousand of photos using AV or M options without any problem. I have chandged

the battery, try to turn the power on/off without any result,or to be honest, I

made 2 or 3 photos in Av program, and than again nothing. If it is something I

have missed in manual, pls. let me know!

In, say, Av mode, what happens when you 1/2 press the release? Does it Meter? Is anything flashing in the view-finder? Do you get focus confirmation?

What happens when you press the button all the way down?

You havn't inadvertantly switched to a very high ISO setting and the camera can't get an aperture small enough or a shutterspeed fast enough have you?

Any more info that you can give us?

Cheers,

Colin

I am going to cronology explain the steps I made before something got wrong. The whole afternoon I was in a forrest near by, takin pictures with 50mm 1,4. I got home, took some pictures with 24 1,4 and finally took my old 20mm2,8. I was trying all that because I am used on crop factor 1,6. Just wanted to see my lenses with no crop factor. During takeing pictures with 20mm, 5D died. There was no answer on any programs. I was terifyed! He was in my hands just a little bit more of 24h! Then my husband tried to take some photos-nothing. All creative programs did not work. When you push down shutter halfway or full way, nothing happenned. Finally, we put it on green-automatic-he was allive! I changed the lens I used in the afternoon, 50mm 1,4, worked just on automatic. If I switch to any other Tv,Av... I also could not change th ISO, WB,metering mode....NOTHING!I changed the battery, CF card....nothing! This morning I woke up- HE WAS ALIVE! After few shots-same story like yesterday. I changed the lens, put 24mm 1,4-worked for few photos and drop dead. Just functioning on automatic mode. I rest him on the table with power on, with a lens cap on. After few minutes I heard moving around my 5D- he took a photo by himself-saw black screen while searching for the pictures on my CF card!

I know I will at the wendor tomorrow but this is a very SERIOS problem for having 5D after 24hours and for such a lot of money!

Any idea?

Thanks for any answer- I said that I would bought Nikon if I hadnot bougt lenses for Canon

Ines (writting from my Vladimir computer)

Shit happens however rare for highend cameras. My new microwave oven died in less than a

week and I took it back and got another. I had a new Nikon SLR that farted out on me too.

Actually smelled frying electronics. You merely suffered the luck of the draw. Maybe it got

dropped one time too many during shipment. Maybe a defective component. Doesn't matter

as that's what return policies and warranties protect you from. No biggie. Go get another and

be happy.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Thanks a lot. Made me smile. But all, ALL elektircal things I bought had some technical mistake or error! I am tired of that! I left 5D for an hour, switch it on and it worked. Made 30 photos and than again, droped dead.

You are wright, I will go tomorrow in a shop to have the new one.

Ines

One possibility...

Does the 5D have a small button battery (CR2016 or similar) in the bottom, besides the main BP511A? I have other models, not 5D, but I wonder if symptoms like you describe might be traced to that battery getting low or not making good contact. This battery is what maintains the computer system "clock" and memory functions in the camera, when the main rechargeable battery is removed. Even in new cameras, sometimes a battery like this has lost power while sitting on the shelf, was faulty to begin with, or it was installed carelessly and someone got finger oils on it.

Just a thought. And easy to check.

No Ric, we bought it in only Canon authorised dealer shop in Croatia. They told us lot of stupid things we could made wrong that it stop working. If another time the samo thing happend, they would give us a new body.

I hope that is not going to happen-stop working!

Ines