Mamiya RB67 cocked but won't release

colin_mattson1

I recently purchased a used RB67 Pro-S and initially everything seemed to be fine going through a

functions check. Then I cocked the mirror for another test exposure and the shutter

release wouldn't depress all the way. So now I'm stuck with a cocked mirror and no way to trip the release.

The shutter release lock isn't on, the film's advanced, the darkslide's out, and all the fiddly bits of the back

and the adapter seem to function normally (when tested off the camera body). I think the original adapter

may have been having problems, so it's been swapped out for a new(er) one, but unfortunately that didn't

magically solve anything.

Removing the bottom plate, I can see the shutter release linkage doesn't reach the end of its stroke, and it

appears to be blocked by a piece of metal... I'm assuming some interlock isn't disengaging properly, but

have no idea what interlock that may be or how to defeat it.

Is there some potentially simple fix I can manage myself, or should I just take it in for repair during the

week?<div>00MwHN-39117384.jpg.d594a72fecce0626028bc5fbbb6a136b.jpg</div>

This can be the interlock system is not functioning properly somewhere in your camera. It can be someting simple to a part that has been bent or just needs lube. The only way to tell is to open the camera side panel after fooling around with all the possable causes. Don't force anything!

Take off the revolving back and try firing it with nothing on it ( no lens either)? maybe it's not cocking all the way? Check the lock on the fire button?

To remove the side panels you'll have to peel the leatherete. The side opp the lever has a double light seal panel and several light seals inside which probably need replacing anyway. So you'll need to get some foam.

Once the side is opened you can trace the interlocks better to see where the problem is.

The more you say, the less people listen.

Thanks for the information so far. No luck with the revolving back off, and I had previously

tried switching to multiple exposure mode hoping that would help. The release lock is

disengaged (and I verified with the bottom off as well).

Onward to exploratory surgery, I guess.

I've managed to get the leatherette off, and I removed the cocking lever, but I'm at a loss

as to removing the focusing knobs. There's one screw under each knob it seems can't be

removed without removing the knobs?too close in to unscrew it through the knob's

provided holes.

Is there something blatantly obvious I'm missing with regard to the focus knobs?

Paul,

On either side, there's a screw directly under the focus knobs that doesn't seem to be

accessible without removing the knobs (on the side with the focus lock, in fact, it's

partially under the lock lever). It's the most forward of the three screws on the bottom of

either side panel.

With that screw in, the side panel seems to still be secured to the body.

Does the focus knob need to come off to get that screw? If so, how do I remove the knob?