My first wedding...

erin_lance

I bought my first DSLR just a couple months back and photographed a wedding for

a friend. I am pretty good under stress, so I had a ball! I got a good

response from the bride and groom, and from people in general. However, I know

just one other photographer, and he isn't really into weddings.

Alas, I need some good critique... Please, let me know what you think-

exposure, angles, lighting, composition in general, overall feel, you name it!

I know that I won't grow if I don't hear how to improve.

Here is the link to my website... I was even so bold as to start a business!

http://www.erinlance.com/amii_andy.html

Thanks so much for your time and words!

Erin

(Teacher by trade, photographer by aspiration)

Well, you have the art part down for sure! Only suggestion on these guys would be the heads of people seem to start in the middle of the picture instead of the top, and often there are ceiling lights that don't need to be there. I think if you cropped out that part on many pictures, they could be even better.

So...where are the 'regular' shots. The relatives are going to want to buy regular shots of all of them. I assume there are many, and you are just showing us the 'artisy' stuff? You have a unique style.

Cropping and lighting needs work. Try to crop so the image feels balanced. That's the best way I can describe it. For instance, there was a vertical B&W shot of the bride and some guy. The guy was crammed to the right, and there was way too much headroom in the shot. It looked unbalanced. That's not to say that every shot should be centered. Just "balance" the elements in the frame before clicking the shutter.

Lighting: Especially the background. Too many dark backgrounds. This is mainly a technical thing. You need to learn how to shoot at longer shutter sppeds or larger apertures to bring some life to the backgrounds. Many good posts here about that.

Photoshop: Personally, I think there is a bit too much post production work going on. Learn to get a good image when you take the picture, rather than having to rely on exposure and lighting corrections in Photoshop.

I realize in the heat of the moment there is a temptation to just get something, and worry about correcting it later. My advise is to when you get that feeling, slow down, make the proper adjustments on the camera , your shooting position, or the subjects, then take the picture.

Shoot for little or no post-production.

normally I am very critical, but you have what a lot of aspiring wedding photographers (and many wedding photographers) do not have - 'the eye'. You definitely have an eye for it. Unfortunately you might catch some flak for having a good eye when so many people do not - we'll call that envy.

Just watch the 'bulls eyeing' - putting the subjects head in the middle of the frame. Unless, that is the look you are trying to achieve. And you might have gone a tad over board with the range of different post production techniques that you used, but I am sure we all did that in the beginning. Hopefully we all did that or we weren't tinkering around enough in the quest to find personal style. With time I am sure your style will develop and solidify in wedding photography like it has in your commercial and children galleries.

Keeping your clients happy and staying true to yourself is what matters. Many people might not like your wedding work and that is OK. If your clients LOVE your work and you LOVE your work then keep on rockin'. I would rather have 90% of the world despise my work and 10% be completely crazy about it, that 100% think I am decent.

Cropping, light, and I have to add color. On my monitor the skin tones are all over the place, and dark. I strive for perfection with these 3 topics. Then in photoshop you can play. Keep the origional clean. You can get artsy anytime.

You have a nice unique winning style. Keep working with it. Didn't see much in flowers so maybe they were just left out.

I dug the swing and the free spirit you were about to get out of them! Well done.

I think, no I know you have the eye and the talent to get your shots but I think either post production or camera settings might be your short fall. Make no mistake I think all B/G love some artsy stuff but some of the money shots are missing. Very photojournalist...one must find a balance. After looking at the slide show I was left with "is there more" Great focus on the B/G but the other members and attendees need some attention too. Finally, what you have is harder to teach and gain rather than equipment know how! You should feel very proud. Congrats. v/r Buffdr

I am impressed with the art part of your images as well. I think you did a great job with cropping and making most of the images pop. You definitely caught emotion. Great first wedding. It looks like you got your flashes off camera another good thing. Good job.

Thank you to all who checked out my work and to all those who gave their words to help me through this process! Ken... you asked about which system- I have the Nikon D40, with the kit lens (18-55) and the 55-200 VR, along with an SB600. I am pretty barebones at this juncture. I did recently buy a Sigma 30mm f/1.4- haven't perfected it's use, but have tried it in almost pure darkness. Not bad!

I am hoping to move up from the D40 soon... looking at the D300.

I am a little perplexed as to which lens to buy with it. I love the idea of having the 18-200 VR, less switching, but then again... a faster lens seems to be the way most go. hmmm... how about a 17-200mm f/2.8 VR for under a thousand, and I wouldn't have to think so much about it!

Again... thanks everyone for your time and interest! I will truly take all these comments to heart and begin to work more on my technique- exposure, cropping, color and possibly shooting in RAW.

My first experience with photo.net gets an A+ !