Cost & value

rob_ruttan

Greetings,

I hope you don't mind a real beginner's question.

When sellers refer to a Hasselblad "C", is that the

same as a "500C"?

There is a local dealer selling a

Hasselblad C with a prism, a 150 mm sonar lens and a 100 mm planar lens. I

don't know what the terms 'sonar' and 'planar' mean. I assume the prism

is metered, as he estimated the value of a new one at $1,000, which,

given Canadian taxes, may be true. He's asking $1,800 for it. If it is

good shape, do you think that's a reasonable price?

Hope you can help!

Cheers,

Rob Ruttan

Rob,<br><br>"C" could mean a 500 C, yes.<br>Sonnar and Planar are lens type names. The 150 mm Sonnar is an excellent short telephoto, the 80 mm Planar the (also excellent) standard lens for the format.<br>The prism may well be unmetered, new Hasselblad items being very expensive, and i really doubt you can get a new metered prism for less than 3x that amount.<br><br>A reasonable price, assuming that the lenses are of the earliest C-type, and all is in good condition? And that there is a decent magazine included as well?<br>Perhaps something in the region of US$ 1,000.

It could be a 501c but doubtful. He probably is talking about a 500c kit. It's an older kit that does not have the romovable focusing screen as the 500cm does. It's fairly old ( probably mid to late '60's early 70's model ).

In dollars you sould be able to buy what he's selling for this amount:

500c kit with 80mm chrome C lens and back: $500 ( fair condition ) to $800 to $1000 ( nearing mint condition ).

150mm C chrome lens: Fair condition perfect glass $200 to mint/new cond. $400.

There are all kinds of prisms. If it is a metered prism it can be the old analog simply called "meter prism." They sell working for around $100.

Then you have the pme ( $250 to $300 ), pme3 ( $275 to $350 ), pme5 ( $300 to $400 ), pme51 ( $350 to $600 ), pme45 ( $900 to $1400 ), pme90 $500 to $800.

The non-metered prisms can be had for Nc2 ( $100 ), PM ( 45 Degree $100 to $275 ), pm5 ( $250 to $350 ).

Of course all of this is subjective to which way the wind blowing...and who is buying and/or bidding.

blessings,

Ken

FWIW I agree 110% with Bruce above. I used the metered prism with my 'blad exactly once and that was only because I was late to the wedding and I forgot my minolta at the studio.

It was marginally better than having no meter at all, fortunately Kodak porta has a really wide exposure lattitude.

If it comes with the kit, great, but given the option, Id use the WLF and put the money towards a nice sekonic.

-C

I wonder why the seller doesn't use correct designations of what they are selling? I doubt if the seller know enough about what he/she is dealing with. If so, it would not be advisable to buy a "not really cheap" camera there especially if you are not really familiar to the Hassy system.

Rob,

I would like to encourage you and help you to buy a good Hasselblad camera.

500C body 1957-1970 focusing screen can only be changed by qualified technician. Most of these bodies have an older less bright screen.

Bodies from 100 USD on.

500CM body 1970-1994 most popular body easy to find screen can be changed without need of adjustment. Prices from 150-400USD depending on age and condition.

If budget allows go for later 500CM body with stainless steel fixings for filmback. Recommended body to start with.

Early lenses have silver barrel. These lenses are of "C" type.

They have legendary Carl Zeiss quality but are at least thirty years old. 1957-1975

Later "C" type lenses have black barrel, most have improved coating called T* 1976-1982

In 1982 lenses were given a different barrel. Some were new designs in the optical sense as well. These are called CF.

They have an improved shutter and are easier to use because of improved ergonomic design.

Production starts in 1982.

Look at www.keh.com in Atlanta for prices.

David Odess in Massachusets is a qualified technician for repairs and service of lenses, bodies and filmbacks.

Google will give you his contact information.

David also has a fine selection of Hasselblad gear for sale.

At eBay you will find lots of Hasselblad at often tempting prices.

A good trader like KEH or David Odess are sources for equipment that provide after sales service and ofteh easy terms to exchange or return things you are not happy with.

Check out http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Hasselblad500.html~mainFrame before you start buying Hasselblad equipment.

The chrome C lenses do not have the T* lens coating. The coating improve the contrast and the flare-reflection rejection. More important ly the chrome lenses are very hard to get repaired do the the lack of parts. While they are less expensive, they are not for the first time buyer.

Stick to the T* CF, CFi, CFE or newer lenses. The F lenses are for the facal plane shutter camera, the 2000 and 200 series. This series has been disconinued. The 1600 and 1000 cameras are pre-1957 and have had reliability problems, consider them collectors items.

Stick to the 500 series, also know as the V series.

Gooed places to buy: www.KEH.com and David Odess [http://www.david-odess.com/]

Resources:

Here and http://www.hasselbladinfo.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Steve