house and I was asked to take the family photo. My question is if nice weather

we very much want the photo taken outside but if bad weather the family photo

will have to be indoors of course. There will be approx. 32 family members in

the photo. My equiptment consist of Canon 20D and 40D (just purchased the 40d

not long ago)-lenses: canon 17-40 f/4L USM and Canon 24-105 f/4L USM - Flash:

Canon 580EX. My question is if the weather doesn't co-operate for outdoors and

we take it indoors would it be better to use my 17-40 or my 24-105. I have not

used the 17-40 indoors with the flash at all. So since this is a very important

photo I thought I would ask the experts out there. Thank you so much!

Indoors with a large group. Probably will need the 17-40 f4. If the group is deep enough, you may need to stop down on the aperture (in M mode) a bit to gain DOF. Set the Shutter to about 1/60th and mount on a tripod. Have fresh batts for the 580ex and bounce off a ceiling or a wall behind the camera. Turn the ISO up to 400 at least and maybe 640 or so. If the room has very high ceilings or a funky colored wall this may be a problem. Also if ambient light can creep in you may need to gel the flash.

If you do shoot outside and it is sunny, try to shoot in the shade. I would hope for a nice cloudy day.

If your family is like mine they have no idea what it takes to insure proper lighting to get a good looking photo. They think you should be able to run outside and snap off a shot in about 10secounds and be done requardless of sun shade or what ever. I have had many times we would walk outside and someone gathers the folks in the middle of the hard sun and says OK take our picture. You have to take charge here and know what make good lighting and what does not. Now folk trust me and look and say OK what do want to do and where. ;o)

Jason

Sounds to me like you have the perfect setup. The 40D + 17-40 + 580EX should work perfectly (I have the same setup except an XT instead of the 40D).

I would recommend experimenting a bit with bounce flash between now and then, as depending on the room, this may yield a much better result.

Oh, and if you see that you will need to shot inside, go ahead and take a few test shots before hand with someone willing to model. The main concern here will be, unless there is plenty of amient light to work with, you may have issues with flash power.

Good luck

Jason

Thank you so much Jason and Christian you have helped me out tremendously and I so appreciate that. I now have Jason and Christian tips that I can jot down in my notes I carry around ;o).

There will be two choice of rooms for the picture if indoors (I just found out)....there movie room in the basement (red walls and high ceiling) or there family room in the walk out basement red walls white ceiling but it is somewhat lower! Again your tips/talent were very appreciated, thank you.