Photoshop CS2 and Spyder2Express

Hi All,

I recently purchased the Spyder express 2 to calibrate my lcd correctly.

Regarding the profile which was created how now do I use this in Photoshop?

At the moment In the "color setting" menu I have the photoshop working space

RGB set to "Monitor RGB - Spyder2express"

When I open an image I get a profile mismatch and photoshop asks me if I want

to convert the profile of the photo from Embedded - sRGB IEC61966-2.1 to

Working: Monitor RGB - Spyder2express.

Now heres where im confused.............The difference in colour In the picture

when i swap profiles between sRGBIEC61966-2.1 and spyderexpress is quite

marked. I was under the impression the spyderexpress profile should be

identical to sRGB ? Is the point of calibrating your monitor not supposed to

align it with the sRGB standard?

You don't do anything. If it was stored in the right directory the monitor profile is running automatically when you are using Photoshop.

"I was under the impression the spyderexpress profile should be identical to sRGB ? Is the point of calibrating your monitor not supposed to align it with the sRGB standard?"

Absolutely not! Your individual monitor may have a gamut that is smaller or larger than sRGB.

sRGB is a device independent RGB color space. Your monitor is a device: it has it's own unique way of interpreting color.

The process of calibrating a monitor is to bring the monitor to a known state. The process of profiling is to correct that state so the data being sent to it is interpreted in a neutral manner -- to cancel out the inherent bias in an individual monitor. How accurately your profiling device (hardware and software) does this is completely dependent on their accuracy.

Thats Great feedback. Thank you both so much for that information.

As you can see im a newbie to all things related to color management.

So just to re-cap. Once the spyderexpress profile is my Windows default (which means Photoshop is using it for display purposes) I just continue working in Photoshop with the SRGB profile on my photos?

Is this correct ?

Many thanks again

Terry

Yes that is correct. Someone knows better than me, but the monitor one that you were using is the bias that your monitor has. So if your monitor has a blue shift using the monitor would show you double the blue shift (the shift it has naturally plus you are displaying an additional shift) which is why it looks so bad. Hopefully that makes sense.

But make it your default in Windows and Photoshop will use it whether you are in sRGB or Adobe RGB or any of the other color spaces.