How fast must I when changing the battery

lake_0571

Now my D200's battery is going to dry-up,and I can't find no back-up memory

buttons anywhere,and I'v changed custom fuctions within.Will changing the

battery cause to lose the CF-data?Or is there any memory button within the

body to protect data?Thanks for your advice again.

The d200 has an small internal battery that will retain custom settings when you remove the main battery. I don't know how long it lasts, but I've had the main battery out for several days without problem.

The CF card is what's termed non-volatile memory. When its bits are set, they stay that way for basically the life of the card without the need for external power. Think of it like a rewritable cd.

<i>"The d200 has an small internal battery that will retain custom settings ... "</i><P>

I suspect this info is actually stored in non-volatile flash memory. I don't think any Nikon SLR/DSLR has an internal battery. None of the repair manuals I have seen for moderns AF film SLR's (many of which also have custom functions) have an internal battery.

<P>Of course, this is irrelevant with respect to data (pictures) on the CF card, since a CF card is non-volatile <b>F</b>lash memory.

Michael - it may be a capacitor, it may be a battery, I don't know, but it's effectively the same thing - the clock keeps ticking, settings stay stored, etc., even without the main battery. Of course this charge won't last forever, but it will certainly last more than a couple days - think how long a digital watch runs on a Tiny battery. Lake - you'll be fine.

Indeed, the D200 has a small, auxiliary battery that powers the clock and calendar. It gets charged by the main battery (EN-EL3e) as needed and will function for about three months. If the 'CLOCK' icon flashes, time to recharge the small battery and reset the clock/calendar.

Lilly is right. On page 117 of the D200 manual, it specifies that there is indeed an internal rechargable battery to maintain the clock. That internal battery is charged by the EN-EL3e battery or an external AC adapter.

However, that is different from the D2X, which uses a CR1616 button battery that can be (and needs to be) replaced.