What to do with a 70mm back

brian_walton

Let's assume that 70mm film is difficult if not impossible to get. And if you

do find it it requires a large order. Has anybody heard of an innovative way

of using the Hasselblad 70mm back. There must be some nerd out there as we

speak taking his 10mp digital camera to bits and refitting within the 70mm

back. "How to" instructions to follow...in my dreams.

Brian

Even if you could get 70mm why would you want to? The last time I used a 70mm back was 15 years ago in a commercial portrait "farm" - in terms of a digital conversion, It would be pretty tough to cobble together enough of the right parts into something practically usable.

There are also nearly always a couple of backs on eBay for sale and they typically sell for $40 to $100. Just type in Hasselblad 70 and you should always be able to find one eventually. KEH has three for sale right now and one is rated as "excellent" and selling for only $49 so they're not such a rare item.

Color negative film is available in 70mm perf. Color slide film is special order as is B&W. Last time I checked Kodak would spool 70mm double perf film but you had to order 36 rolls of 100 foot lengths.

I have an adpater to convert a 70mm back to use 70mm non perf film. I was going to use it with J&C B&W 70mm film but they are now gone.

If anyone wants to combine an order for TRI-X 70mm double perf or some other B&W Kodak film I wil order 4 100' rolls.

If film were readily available, I think I would like a 70mm back. I expect that the sproket advance would eliminate spacing problems that eventually develop in 120 backs. Plus you get more pictures per load. Of course, it must take a really big stainless steel reel and tank to develop 40 or 50 exposures on 6x6!

Wolf Rainer,<br><br>I'm sure that this one, extra emulsion (plus an orthochromatic one) is not difficult to get.<br>But that's hardly what is meant when it is said that 70 mm film is hard to get: there are very few emulsions available, and very few places to get them from. Mahn too demonstrates the problem: even though a few emulsions are offered as 70 mm film, the choice is extremely limited (what! No colour!) and most (or in this case half) of what is offered isn't suited for general photography.<br>So though Maco might be able to provide you with as much of their 70 mm film you would like, 70 mm film IS hard to get.

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps putting a light source and all the stuff to make a Slide projector.

Or even making an iPod craddle inside to make some kind of "iPod'jector". I tried this mornig

with my Kiev 88 and iPod, more than F2,8 lenses would be welcome, and 50/60mm to get a

bright and big image. :P

35mm conversion won't be too bad, but is fairly easy to make with just A12 and some Lego?

bits, except you'll have a vertical-striped image.

• 3 months later...

Brian,

I've been slowly and carefully buying up 70mm type perforated II emulsions over the last couple of years, from many different sources, and storing them in my deep freeze. I have over twenty-five cans presently, high-speed, low speed, color, B&W. I have six fully functional 'blad A70 magazines, and I'm using them :)

I've yet to come across a bad roll.