Where is the diaphragm in a Mamiya 645 lens?

thinkofcole

I have just picked up a Mamiya M645J SLR [top speed 1/500th] with a Mamiya-

Sekor 80mm/f2.8 lens...But I can't figure out if there actually is a diaphragm

in the lens and, if so, how to set it...

Do you just set the f-stop on the lens and the camera does the rest? Or what?

Thanks in advance...regards, bob

No, M is for manual aperture. If you set the lens to manual, the aperture should stop down as you turn the aperture ring and you should be able to observe this.

If set to A, the aperture will stay at full aperture for viewing and automatically stop down as the shutter is fired. This is normally how you would want to shoot so you can have the modern convenience of viewing and focusing at full aperture.

Jon

Jon

"M" is actually for viewing the taking depth of field. In M mode the lens remains stopped down to it's shooting aperture. In "A" mode (auto) the aperture remains wide open for focusing and viewing (but not for DoF previewing). When the shutter is activated the mirror moves, the shutter opens, and the lens automatically stops down to it's taking aperture. After the shutter is done opening/closing, the lens returns to wide open.

thanks Jon and Steve...Actually I have two Mamiya-Sekor M645 lenses, the 80.2.8 and a 150/3.5...I can definitely see and move the diaphragm on the 150 when I set it to M but I cannot see the diaphragm on the 80 in any position...

Does that mean that the 80 is bad? I'd appreciate a reply because I do not want to represent it as ok if the diaphragm is supposed to work and it apparently doesn't work...thanks in advance...bob