where should the subject look

jermaine_scott

This is an interesting question as it brings up the issue of camera / lens height when using

a waist level finder. I used to shoot a lot of fashion with a Rolleiflex and then with

Hasselblads - with both WLFs and prism finders. The inherent problem is that looking

down into the finder to compose, puts the lens below the model's face. When people look

down it makes their eyes look smaller and isn't exactly flattering for necks and faces, or

body lines either! (NB. As with all "rules" this can obviously be broken at times to good

effect).

The answer for me was a lot of stepladders, stairs, and getting the models in situations

where, if the shot required eye contact, they were placed at or below the camera lens

(seated or lying down worked too). As previously stated it is also important that they know

to look directly into the lower "taking" lens and not the viewing lens.

If you compose and then have them make eye contact with you, it can look a little awkward

as they are looking just a foot or so above the lens. It can be better to have them looking

off to the left or right, or if directly above, then a little higher. I would definitely advise

though to always consider the height of the camera and how that affects the models eyes,

composure and attitude... and invest in some step ladders (or crates).