Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF cannot focus on wide end

tom_stimpy

Dear Photo.net friends,

I had my new Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF for only a couple of months. The lens

is great, but most of time it cannot auto focus on the 17mm end when shooting

landscape with blue sky or anything less contrast on my D70. I cannot press

shutter down. Normally I will need to change the zoom to longer end to focus

(e.g, 30mm), then change back to wide end to shoot.

Is this a defect of this lens? or can I change the focus setting on the camera

to make this work? I am not sure how I can send the lens back to Nikon for the

repair (I need to mail the lens to service center?). It is a brand new lens

and I had this problem on the day one when I had it.

Thanks for the help!

Focus on something other than the sky. With only 5 AF sensors on the D70 and using a fairly wide angle lens means you need to actually find something to focus on that is under one of the sensors and focus and recompose.

Do you have another lens that focuses at the same focal length on the same scene and composition? If so, then it might be the lens, but based on what you've written so far I doubt it.

Anthony, I just get a D300 yesterday, I tested it at home indoor, and tried to focus on wood floor 20 feet away, it does not focus either. Of course it does not focus if I point to white paint wall.

I have a DX lens AF-S 18-70 3.5-4.5G ED (D70 Kit lens) and I used for my normal landscape shoot, and never have focus issue until I start using this new lens.

Even if I did not focus on blue sky, it still cannot focus. But if I change zoom to longer focal length, it does focus.

Donald, yes, I understand no contrast, no focus. But it seems that only focus point does not have contrast, but other places do have contrast. Could some settings fix this problem?

Thanks!

Hi Tom,

Sounds like the lens. Are you having any issues with underexposure at wider apertures? If so, you might have a stuck aperture. It could be something in the lens CPU chip that is faulty and is not communicating the distance to the camera, but I would assume that only effects Matrix metering.

Contact Nikon and send the lens in to be serviced. If you are in the United States start by calling Service and Repair Support at 1-800-645-6678.

I had a similar problem with my 17-35/2,8 AFS ED-IF lens a while ago and I was the one

posted the question on the forum.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GzwX

It turned out that the zoom focus gear was worn out (I got the lens second hand). I sent

the lens to Nikon Camera Service in Morton Grove, IL. (847) 470-0678. They replaced the

part and did a complete CLA of the lens. The lens has been working perfectly ever since.

The repair bill was around $350.

Since your lens is a new one, you should really send the lens back to Nikon and have it

check out and adjusted.

Hope this helps.

I once dropped my 17-55mm/f2.8 DX inside a camera bag. As a result, the lens mount was slightly bent and the lens could not focus on the 17mm end. So I would guess this is a lens problem.

Since the D70 has only 1 cross-type AF point, I would double check the lens on the D300, which has 15 cross-type AF points. If the lens consistently has trouble with AF on several of the cross-type AF points on subjects with some contrast, I would send the lens back to Nikon for warranty repair. (The cross type AF points on the D300 are the ones in the center 3 columns when the camera is in the landscape (horizontal) orientation.)

Since you have had this problem since day 1, send it back to Nikon USA for repair ASAP or they may suspect that you might have damaged the lens yourself. Send it either to Melville, New York or El Segundo, California depending on which one is closer to you. I would put a name/phone number label on the lens itself in case it accidentally gets separated from your paperwork.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00CuyP

Thanks everyone for the suggestion and advise! I feel so unlucky to get a bad lens. I got mine when this lens was out of stock in most of dealers last Nov, and I ordered this one from a S. Cal dealer (probabaly should not name it) online, it did come with USA warranty, and looked brand new when I got it.

I will need to send the lens to NY for service, never had such experience before. What my expectation should be? maybe take them a week or two to fix it?