Reason NOT to put out disposable cameras

dawn_kelly

I was covering a good friend's wedding several years ago, and I noticed their table cameras were getting neglected. They had a ton of them scattered about, and as the night began winding down, each 36-exposure camera still had tons of film left. My friend is a big practical jokester, so I took a handful of cameras upstairs to a different ballroom where another wedding reception was taking place. I mingled with the other wedding party like I was one of the guests, and then I had people use the disposable cameras to take photos of me with the other married couple... and with their parents... and with all their bridesmaids... and their grandparents. It was a lot of fun. I'd probably advise against doing this with a "real" client. :)

A few years ago I was photographing a wedding reception where they had disposable cameras on the tables. I became aware that something wasn't quite right. Several groomsmen were going to the restroom together, giggling, and each was carrying one of the table cameras. I approached the groom and asked who would be developing the photos. When he said his mom was, I told him about the groomsmen, the giggling and the cameras. He made it to the restroom in about 2.3 seconds, and came out shortly after carrying the cameras.