Can "no-name" batteries damage the camera ?

istvan_sandor

Hi,

I have just ordered a pair of no-name BP-511 batteries for my 40d through the

famous auction site.

I have already been using no-name batteries for cca. 3 years and they cost me

1/4 of the genuine Canon batteries, store 25% more juice and lasted (so far)

twice as long.

The ones I have just ordered (not from the same source as the current ones) cost

5 USD each and they are 1800mAh so, dirt cheap.

I never thought about any potential damage caused by batteries (so, I may have

just been lucky with the current ones) but this made me thinking just now.

Could someone tell me whether I should be cautious and avoid "no-name batteries"

or I should not worry. Also, is there a way to check batteries prior using them ?

(I have a Volt/Amper meter if that can be a tool to check them...)

Thanks a lot and sorry for my English...

I've had excellent results with sterlingcrack 511s. Better than the Canons that shipped with

my bodies. I've seen pictures of generic 511 sold off ebay that when up in smoke...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I just had another Canon brand BPi511 give up the ghost. They seem to work for 2 years (sometimes nearly 3 years) and then fail to hold a decent charge. I always date stamp my batteries to see how old they are getting. When they start fading early I toss them and order two more. You always want to buy two because some are defective right out of the box, and they are not worth returning. The cheap ones I've gotten in Hong Kong via ebay seem to go, and go, and go...

Puppy Face points out a problem with generic lithium batteries though. There is supposed to be a thermal fuse that kills the battery (permanently) if it gets too hot, but some some of them seem to have gotten out of China without the fuse. If lithiums get too hot they can short out and then explode, or at least catch fire. I've never had that problem though, and continue to tempt fate.