Graflok back for my Tachihara?

Yes, just replace the existing spring back with a Graflok back. I have done this with older Speed Graphics. Just remove the screws that hold it on and they swap right out. I bought the Graflok back on ebay. Not sure where to get a new one though.

I did this on my Nagaoka. I cut a piece of 1/4 inch (6mm) baltic birch plywood to size and cut out the oblong hole in the middle. I then glued on some 1/2 inch wide pieces of 1/8 inch thick MDF around the hole on the inside face to act as a light trap. I then painted it all flat black. I painted the outside face with matte varnish to give it a more finished appearance. I then bolted on the Graflock back.

4x5 negs will make huge super detailed display prints. When you get proficient with your new "toy", you might consider schlepping it along. So far I arranged to do this once last season, and of course it was pouring rain that day.

Try some chrome films for fun. There is nothing like seeing your first 4x5 slides. Good luck, and happy new year!

Thanks Steve, I bought it because I have long felt that any kind of uprezzing of digital files 'shows' in the print, I want to shoot fine art B&W for very large prints, 40X30" or so - hence the LF. I've been experimenting with polaroid 55 for the negative but have soon discovered that having no control over the contrast range (meter for shadows and say goodbye to your highlights for good). That's the problem, nothing easy comes without its price!