2 bodies on vacation?

claus_cheng

I will do the Southwest next year.... and I would like to do serious photo

shooting during the trip.

I use a Nikon D200(12-24/17-55/70-200) and I get a D300 soon.

I ask myself... if I should mount the lenses on both bodies? One body with 12-

24 and the other one with 70-200, but I think it's too heavy when I do a longer

hike.

Folks, what do you think or what are your recommendations???

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you are talking about the US South West, you'll be mainly shooting landscapes, and you should have plenty of time to change lenses. Therefore, if weight becomes an issue, I would hike with only one camear body and leave the other in the car (or somewhere safe) as a backup. The more important lenses will be the wide ones if you have to choose for weight reasons. However, a tripod would be useful.

People use two bodies with different lenses in situations where they have no time to change lenses. E.g. some sports photographers (400mm/f2.8 + 70-200mm/f2.8) and wedding photographers do that.

If you have ever hikes with camera equipment before, you know you abilities better than anyone else. If you haven't hiked before with all your equipment, STOP. Think very carefully about the weight of what you intend to bring. Load a backpack with your anticipated load and go for a mile or two walk in your neighborhood to get a sense of what it is like to carry it all. Camera, 2-3+ lenses, tripod+head, batteries, possibly a backup device like a Wolverine, possibly a flash, filters...it adds up fast. Add to that water bottles (and you need a lot of water), & personal items you'll be carrying.

By taking a little time to "practice," you'll get a sense of whether you need to edit or if you can add to the load, and you'll also have the advantage of knowing if the pack you have is the right one for you. It's amazing how a pack that feels great in the store suddenly gives you second thoughts on the trail when it is weighted down and if the tripod keeps falling off because a retaining strap continually loosens, or certain pockets are inconvenient to access, how dust and sand collect on a key zipper that you must open to access the camera thus contaminating the clean interior too easily.

I have been to the SW US many many times. I always bring with me more camera equipment than I can use. :)

Bring both camera bodies with you and a bunch of lenses. When you go hiking out take one body and the lenses (but no redundant lenses). That is how I did it and I was shooting mostly film.

I used to bring a P&S with me too. I produced a DVD of my various trips out to the SW and fully 80% of the photos on the DVD were taken with my little Kodak DX 4900...... It is light and handy and sometimes absolutely perfect for grabbing a shot!

Claus, if those are the only lenses you are carrying, I think it would be easy to pack two bodies in a backpack. Like you said, one with the 12-24, the other with the 70-200. I often pack 5 lenses so substituting one body for a couple lenses would be no big deal. You have the benefits of not having to change lenses as well as a backup with a fresh battery and CF card.

I agree with Shun, a tripod is a must. My backpack load (with tripod) is usually about 20 lbs. If I were packing extra lenses, I would definitely pass on the extra body but less weight is always good, especially for the long hikes.

I like Kyle's idea of trying it out but remember, it can get very very hot in the Southwest depending on when you plan to go. A 20-lb load on your back can get real heavy in 100+(F) temperatures.

With the ability to change ISO on digital bodies you need to decide if the cost of carrying more weight is worth the gain of not changing lenses more frequently and "exposing" your sensor to more opportunities to get dusty. I would carry both with the lenses you think you will use most mounted and carry the extra lens in a vest or pack with my tripod on my shoulder.

Claus, I would say it comes down to whatever else you think you'll be needing out in the dessert. If you plan on going in the summer, then water would out-weigh having a second body/lens. If your subjects plan to be the wildlife in early morning then you can lose the extra water and bring the second cam/lens if you plan to be in position early and clear out before the sun gets going, the animals go back in and the day heats up. If your subjects are landscapes, then take only one camera/lens. If you plan long hikes with a pack and other gear, take one camera and two lenses to lighten the load. I guess my advice is coming from my climbing side in that it depends on what you're specifically planning to have precisely the lightest most versatile solution. Good luck either way, and don't forget the essentials ie water.

I think you'd be better off with something light such as a D40x or D80 as the back up, and not buy the D300. With the money you save, you could buy an 80-400mm VR. The land is vast and I constantly find a use for 400mm in landscapes. You will also come across wildlife and the 200mm is just too short most of the time. You don't mention what if any tripod you have. If the answer is none, again your money would be FAR better spent on a good Gitzo carbon fiber with first class lightweight ballhead than on a D300, which so far seems to have no real advantage over the D200. OTOH, you will see an increase in quality if using a first class tripod/head.

Kent in SD

Next year? What season? I ask because in the summer here, it is a very bad idea to leave

photo equipment locked up in a car due to the extreme high temperatures. With that in

mind, if you come here in the summer, I would plan to leave whatever equipment that you

aren't going use right then, in a hotel, or wherever you are lodged. If you plan out your

daily excursions in advance, then you will have a pretty good idea of what gear to carry

along.

If you plan to come during a more moderate season, then that's another story. In any

event, I would not plan to hike with more than one body, and that would go double if a

70-200 was mounted. I've done that carrying everything mounted on a monopod, and I

certainly didn't have room to carry anything else. The 17-55 or the 12-24 and one body

would be better for hiking, IMO, unless you have specific need to have the 70-200 along.

When it came to film I always carried two, one usually with Velvia and a second with something like ASA 200-400 film and 4 lenses. Shorter hikes I often brought a 6X7 for landscapes (2-3 lenses) and 35mm backup(fortunately I shoot Pentax and can use the 67 lenses on the 35mm body). With a good pack I found it pretty easy to hike 12 miles in rough country with this setup. Now I usually carry one digital and one film SLR and about 4 lenses.