Books suggestions

marco_novello

<p><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Humphrey-Spenders-Humanist-Landscapes-Photo-Documents/dp/0300073348"><strong>Humphrey Spender, "Humanist Landscapes"</strong></a>. Spender was one of the most significant street/documentary photographers of the 20th Century, yet is not widely known. The book used to be very hard to find but has been reprinted and is now available from Amazon. Well worth owning, with beautiful reproductions.</p>

<i>"One other negative suggestion: stay away from Ralph Gibson."</i><p>

To each his own, but perhaps you could qualify your statement with a reason? I've read

"Refractions" several times and I always learn something new that gives me a different

perspective of "photography" and helps me make better photographs, but that's just me.

Well Asher, I've read many of his interviews and they made me not read the "Refractions". I

know that Gibson is for many people here in the forum a kind of national treasure. <p>Bob -

you should develop your own taste. The MOMA is fine, but do I have to like everything they

do? For me Gibson is way overrated, for you he is maybe underrated and this is fine so. It

has nothing to do with my own modest attempts in photography.

Don't get me wrong Roland...you have your rights to like/dislike whatever you want.

But the original poster asked for recommendations of good books...I would suggest that you post your favorites then let the poster make his choice.

To just post what you don't like (and you have posted nothing concerning your credentials as a critic) is to me...the one spouting hot air.

I was disappointed with the Sexton book as nothing new. Mary Ellen Mark has a good book, Exposure, which compiles much of her work.

I would agree Gibson is over-rated. He has a large body of work but nothing earth shattering AFAIC.

A. Leibovitz book, Photographer, stinks IMHO.

I really enjoyed this book: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Consolation-Novel-

Michael-Redhill/dp/0316734985/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6140083-0084726?

ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175711063&sr=8-1">Consolation, by Michael Redhill

</a>.<p>

This novel is about two parallel and connected stories. One takes place in 19th century

Toronto, about a young British pharmacist trying to plant his roots in the new world. The

other takes place in present day Toronto about a troubled family racing against modern

industrialization to find historic photographs, in order to vindicate their deceased

patriarch. Photography plays a central, key role in the story.<p>

The author has a tremendous talent for character development and for painting with

words. He is adept at describing methods and techniques specific to the era with

exceptional detail and accuracy, with respect to medicine, photography, architecture, and

survival. A wonderful read.