Shouldn't we be more serious ?

rashedahmed

I think you already noticed that like me.If some one asking some questions in

photo.net forums,you will find some irresponsible answers.Exemples:

1) I want buy a Canon lens.Please let me know your comments abou it.

Comments : Better buy a Leica/Zeiss lens. ?!

2) Let me know which book I can buy as a starter.

Comments :Learn from your mistakes. ?! -who is making a mistake here.

Recovary : Read carefully what he or she wants to know or wants us to know.

Rashed: Basically, you're talking about manners. If we were all gathered in a room together having a drink and having all of these EXACT same conversations, it would be a little different, socially. If someone you don't know, about whom you have no background, and whose budget, skills, and expectations are a complete mystery comes up to you in person and says, "What lens should I get?" ... well, you have two choices: ask them 50 questions so that you can get enough information to actually give THEM some useful information, or, give them a subtle look that says, "Now, how exactly do you think I'm supposed to answer a question like that?"

<br><br>

It's difficult, at best, for all of those more subtle nuances to come across in a medium like this. If this were 10 years ago, it would be more reasonable for people to not understand that briefly typed messages with context-less questions won't be very well received or produce useful answers. But most people with an internet-connected computer and the personal budget to be involved in photography should, by now, be a little more familiar with online culture.

<br><br>

In other words, it's often the person that's asking the ill-conceived or too-short question that's actually perceived as being the slightly rude person. They're making more work for the very people that they're asking to help them. People who are kind enough to offer help in a venue like this can, some days, get rather tired of that. Some curt responses ensue. I try very hard to be patient and thoughtful about even the most short-sighted questions, for two reasons: 1) this IS a culture, and such things require maintenance, and 2) some people seem to forget it, but I know that most of what I type here is a permanent record of how I relate to the world... and I don't want a momentary fit of pique to come back to haunt my reputation later.

<br><br>

Some people don't care about what Google will show about them 2 years from now, so they don't mind being jerks on public discussion boards. I think they're making a mistake, and I tend to agree with you about the need to elevate the general tone. Believe it or not, but photo.net is probably the single most polite forum I've ever seen. But we all need to work to keep it that way, even if some people don't understand that asking un-answerable (or already-answered-a-thousand-times) questions is itself a bit rude.

Most people giving answers are just trying to be helpful in their own way but sometimes there is a slight difference between what you intend to say and what you actually type. Attempting to circumvent rambling answers and having to keep stopping to consult a dictionary incase somebody criticises your spelling or grammer dosen't help (twice so far).

To give an alternative answer to your first sample question. I would recommend the following Canon lenses . . . but if you can afford it these Leica/Zeiss lenses would be better for your purpose. See, your suggested reply wasn't a rude answer, just a bit too curt.

Anyhow, life is too short to get too worked up about questions or answers that we don't like or fully understand. If in doubt, just get the camera out.

Oh a little comic relief never hurt anyone. Sometimes that is what these flip answers are.. and nothing more. Ignore them or laugh and go on.

Due to a recent personal medical anomoly I have been sent for a bunch of tests. The anoimoly has the potential to be quite serious (or not.. and I am banking on this). One of the tests ordered was a CAT scan. After the Tech at the lab got thru with her questions I aksed her, "Are you SURE you want to look in there?" We laughed. Way better than counter productive worry!

Another test required blood to be drawn. Again.. questions.. and toward the end they asked my Religious affiliation followed by asking about my next of kin! I stopped them and said, "I thought you were taking 3 vials of blood, not all of it?"

Laughter is healing. Laughter is healthy. Lighten up and enjoy P-Net with its knowledge base and its sometimes off beat P-Netters. Life is too shot not to laugh!

Nancy: I completely agree with you... but I find that some people are really not very good at getting their lighthearted, or wry sense of humor to come across in their writing. And even MORE people are really, really bad at picking up on it. I've seen some serious flame wars start over what amounts to poor writing skills. And of course, this particular web site attracts a lot of folks who don't natively speak English, which provides another vector for awkward moments when something is taken out of context. I've learned to restrain my naturally smart-ass, sardonic self until I'm certain that the tone of a particular thread is right for it. It can be less fun that way, but it's a lot more constructive in the long term. This isn't out of some sense of political correctness, by the way... it's just that life is too short to have to come back around and explain yourself when we should be out taking pictures. Must... stop... typing...

Of course, there's always:

Ask a stupid question...

And let's be honest, some of these questions are moronic and the posers of such questions deserve all the sarcasm they get, in my opinion.

And I don't mean moronic because the person doesn't know photography and is just starting out. From what I can see, well posed questions from most beginners, even when they've been asked and answered 5M times on these forums are always well received and answered.

Thanks for your response guyes.Many of you thought that 'I want buy a Canon lens.Please let me know your comments abou it.'- was a short question.Actually the guy who asked this question described it well

like - he wants to buy a EF 24-70 f2.8 L,previously he used EF 24-105 f4 L and now he wants your comments (on 24-70L) who have used this lens.Then some one suggested him 'Better buy a Leica/Zaiss lens.'

It is like suggesting some one to buy a Business Jet insteed of a four door sedan.Isn'it?