Wide Screw-Mount Lenses for Cosina 107 SW

peter_gale

I am having difficulty determining which screw mounted, wide lenses might be

available today for a Cosina 107 SW. I am anticipating a lense between, say,

18mm and 21mm (for landscape work), but would consider something wider if it is

not characterized as a fish-eye lens. I would also appreciate any opinions you

may have on what would possibly be the best wide lens for this body. I use a

tripod and a fast lens is not essential. Price is a factor, but I am interested

in knowing what the best choices might be.

Thanks in advance.

Little bit of background - the mount is the "Leica Thread Mount" commonly abbreviated as "LTM." It was originated by Leica back in the dawn of time, but last used by them for the Leica IIIG which was discontinued in the late 1950's or early 1960's. It was adopted for the Canon rangefinders: the last model was the Canon 7S which was discontinued in the late 1960's. It was revived by Cosina, which bought the (German) Voightlaender name and has produced a number of fine lenses, which can now be bought new. This leaves you with two theoretical choices:

1. Original Canon and Leica lenses in the thread mount, which are scarce to non-existant as wide as you want.

2. The new Cosina-Voightlaender (sometimes seen as "C-V" in these threads) lenses which offer excellent value for the price. I agree with the previous poster about the 15mm, which I have and works well on your camera model (which I also have). They also have a 21mm which is well regarded. I believe the 21mm works better with filters. Going wider they have a 12mm which is well regarded but a bit more expensive. Going longer they have a 25mm which I also have and is an excellent lens.

Cosina-Voightlaender also has cameras and lenses using the newer Leica "M" bayonet mount, which lenses will not work on your camera. I suggest you visit Stephen Gandy's site, www.cameraquest.com. He sells this stuff, and also includes a lot more information on the system. The lenses can also be bought at most or all of the big retailers, like B&H.

Vivek and Ellis, thanks very much for your responses.

Ellis, your information was exactly what I was looking for, amd will help me to focus further searches and considerations. Very much appreciated, as was your advice about filters with the 21mm lens.

Vivek, and Ellis, I am reminded that I do not have a solid visual impression of an image taken with a 15mm lens (i.e. what sort of 'rounding' of the image I might get with such a lens, compared, say, to one taken with a 21mm or 25mm lens).

Do either of you know of an online source where I might see, in general, the overall appearance of an image taken with a 15mm lens? A comparison with 21mm or 25mm images would be particularly useful.

Also, today, is it better, in general, to purchase an adapter for a screw-mount body that would allow it to take a newer lens with a bayonet mount (because any lens with a bayonet mount will have a better long-term re-sale value, and the newer Voightlaender lenses, with the bayonet mount, are likely to provide a superior image)?

Thanks again.

<i>is it better, in general, to purchase an adapter for a screw-mount body that would allow it to take a newer lens with a bayonet mount </i><P>

Doesn't work that way. You can use an adapter on LTM lenses to adapt them to Leica M mount, but you can't use an M-mount lens on a LTM body.<P>

The Cosina-Voigtlander 21mm/f4 is an excellent lens; I use on an M3. I haven't used the 15mm.

Mike actually yes you can use a modern lens with a bayonet mount on an LTM body.

IF you use a Canon Adapter B (LTM body to FD lens) you can then use any of the excellent wide Canon FD mount lenses. I use my 24mm f2.0 on my 1955 Ig with a Canon 25mm viewfinder. since the lens has such great depth of field and I don't use it for low light stuff zone focusing works out real well.

For the OP he could pickup an Adapter B off ebay and then go looking for a Canon FD 20mm f2.8 or even a 17mm f4.0 if he wants really wide. The biggest problem will be the viewfinder.

Below is a photo of my 28mm f2.8 mounted on my Canon L-1 using the Adapter B.<div>00Mgwb-38730384.jpg.80d88e5017697ad72bfa20dea0308508.jpg</div>

Mark, thanks for that further information. Can you, or anyone, tell me if there is letter, such as 'L' (which shows up on the Voightlander distributer's site here in Canada), to commonly designate screw-mount lenses. After awhile, it is hard to keep track of the different terms used by various manufacturers.

Replying on distortion on the 15mm C-V: It is a "rectilinear" lens, which means that it is designed to minimize barrel or pincusion distortion, the bowing in or out of straight lines. It probably has some anyway, but I have not found it to be an issue. ("Fisheye" lenses of the same focal length take in more of an angle, but have barrel distortion in spades. As with any extreme wide-angle, it will have apparent distortion (keystoning) if pointed anywhere but straight at the horizon. I am appending a picture taken with my Cosina 107 SW & the 15mm today - not great art, but illustrates the latter point. Ilford Pan F developed in ID-11, scanned on a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite at 2900 ppi.<div>00MhJq-38742184.thumb.jpg.0281f258b3ee47b895042c6d059f22af.jpg</div>