Dell UltraSharp 2007 Contrast

So I did a search and couldn't find what someone was talking about, but I read

someone mentioning turning down the contrast for the Dell Ultrasharps. I have

the 2007 and I calibrate with the Spyder and it says to set to factory

defaults, so I was wondering if people do different and why...

Thanks!

Jason

Start with it at factory defaults. Make sure you're using the latest version of the spyder software as it takes amient lighting into consideration.

The biggest issue with some of these LCD screens is that they can be a bit bright - especially if you're working with subdued ambient lighting (which is usually a good thing) (good thing that it's subdued I mean).

The Dell 2007, like my 2407, belong to a class of monitors where the contrast control really does adjust contrast. (more precisely, it adjusts the lookup table curves in the LCD controller). You adjust the "contrast" to insure that the monitor doesn't clip colors at the bright end of the range. Good monitor calibration software will do this, run you through a stage where you set the contrast to 100%, and it throws up a series of white squares that only vary slightly, making sure the monitor actually reproduces these small variations. If it doesn't, you're instructed to lower contrast.

(note, I said "good calibration software". Some versions of Spyder software do not qualify. What software and version do you have?)

The brightness control really is a brightness control, too. It lowers the LCD backlight levels. This is what Colin and LJ should be adjusting.