I'm going to smash this Nikon 35Ti!

kyle_opitz

I just bought this "broken" 35Ti on ebay for $150 bucks, i bought a new battery

and fixed the battery door and it fired right up. I've heard so many good

things about this camera, i have yet to run a roll of film thru it and im about

ready to smash it on the ground.

The stupid tiny flash buttons on the front are impossible to use, you have to

hold them in with so much force just to get them to do their job; i figured out

what the flash cancellation button does but i have no idea what the other one is

for, it certainly doesn't work like the various website say it should.

Also the custom functions don't work for crap. I've tried to set and re-set

the stupid things 50 times and they just don't work. It's so impossible to use

the stupid little buttons that i want to have everything set so i don't have to

monkey with them when i'm out shooting.

I was wondering if anyone knows where i can find some info online anywhere?

Does anyone know how to use the flash buttons?

Does anyone know how to get the custom functions to stick?

Can anyone tell me where i can get ahold of a manual for this thing?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

haha Yeah the guy who sold it to me said that it ran out of batteries so he put a new one in and it wouldnt turn on anymore so he just let it sit around for a few years. I got the camera and noticed right away that he had put the wrong battery in it, and that the battery door wasn't sitting quite right. I put the correct battery in it and fixed the door and it fired right up. So i assume the camera should be working as new now.

Well you can download a manual at this site http://www.manualsunlimited.com/index.php?cPath=25_28&gclid=COz_sMn90I4CFRNkYwodvVy4Aw&sort=2a&page=1

It's for the 28Ti but it should be the same or close enough. You could borrow mine if I can find the damn thing. I would need it back as they are hard to find.

I set my camera up and haven't touched the settings since. A little bit of a pain and with big fingers, difficult to do.

Randy

I had one and I loved it. I set the custom function for the flash to always be off, and if I needed it, I could press the little flash "on" button on the front of the camera. The 35Ti shot extremely sharp photos on slide film, it beat my Nikkor 28-105mm ED-IF zoom lens that I used with my N70 in Japan in November, 2000. I shot 20 rolls through the 35Ti and the only thing it couldn't do was AF if there was any glass in the photo (like a window in the background). It had a terrible AF system. I sold it years ago for as much as I paid for it. Would love a "digital" 35Ti though.

I got my 35ti from KEH and have been quite happy with it. I bought a PDF manual from

some place online, (can't remember but do some searching). All my functions work just

fine. As for the flash I've set mine to disable like Dave Lee mentioned. If I want the flash I

just hold down the flash button on the front. Because the flash button is almost flush with

the body it isn't totally simple but it works.

The only problem I have with it is the rubber protector around the viewfinder; mine keeps

coming off. I've found that tiny piece many times in the bottom of bags but looks like it is

gone forever now. This is mostly due to the fact that I drag this camera just about

everywhere.

Yeah Randy that was one of the first sites i checked out and i've been setting the custom functions by the book but they never seem to work right. Oh well, everything is set where i want it anyways, i just wanted to cancel out the flash cause it seems to want to fire all the time.

I had the same response to my brand new 35 Ti bought last week. Do not despair:<p>

<UL>

<LI>1. turn camera off</LI>

<LI>2. Depress "set" button</LI>

<LI>3. While continuing to depress "set" button, Turn camera to "P" mode</LI>

<LI>4. Press "mode" button 4 (four) times</LI>

<LI>5 LCD will show "01 1 00" with the last two zeros blinking.</LI>

<LI>6. press set button once.</LI>

<LI>7. Confirm LCD shows " 01 1 01"</LI>

<LI>8. Press shutter release button halfway, just short of taking a picture.</LI>

<LI>9. Wait for lens to come out and LCD to display number of pictures taken.</LI>

<LI>10. Turn camera off.</LI>

</UL>

You have now turned off the flash. Pushing the tiny flash on button, and keeping it depressed while taking a picture will turn the flash on back-fill (slow shutter speeds.)<p>

Also, I've considered buying some clips/nuts/bolts from Home Depot to modify the switch. I'm sure I'll figure something out. <p>

Regards,<br>

Gary.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the help guys. i've managed to get everything dialed in but cant seem to get the custom functions to work for the life of me, i've tried everyones advice but it isnt working out, oh well its still a gem of a little camera and i think i'll keep it around for awhile.

• 1 year later...
<p>Dear Kyle,<br />Give up with the 35ti mate: You're just torturing yourself with all this stuff. Do yourself a big favour and get a lovely FM2n and a 50mm 1.4Ai lens or a 35mm if your set on that focal length. (see Aperture Photographic in London, they are great guys to deal with).<br />Then you won't have to worry about sweating all the small stuff. The FM2 is just an out and out picture taking machine - it won't let you down - it's manual, just the way a film camera should be.<br />Next, get yourself a Leica V35 and get back into the wet darkroom again - you'll never ever regret it.<br />That's all the 35mm equipment you'll ever need.<br />It seems to me that too many folks are "fiddling about" with stuff instead of taking great pics.<br />Best wishes and good luck<br />Sincerely,<br />Stuart</p>

<p>Fixed your formatting, Gary.</p>

<p>Kyle, drop your 35Ti from a height of approximately 5 feet onto a concrete sidewalk. Then send it to me. I'll send you my Olympus XA-3, which I dropped on a sidewalk about 15 years ago. It still works great and is very simple and reliable.</p>

<p>Those complaints about the tiny buttons match what reviewers wrote about the 35Ti umpteen years ago when it was new. The 28Ti modified some of those controls.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Kyle, it ain't your fault that you were having a ton of grief to get the camera to recognize your custom function settings. <br /> I've posted this recently under a different Nikon 35Ti thread but it bears repeating, so here it is again:<br /> There is an obscure loose leaf addendum to the 35ti manual -- BEWARE!<br /> After setting your desired custom function settings (including specifying for "01 1 01" for the no auto-flash option), make *sure* the initial setting of "00 0 01" is set or specified. Otherwise (as in the case of having "00 0 00" unwittingly specified), all other custom values or entries you have taken great pains to customize will be *DISREGARDED* or *IGNORED* by the camera system; in such a case, factory default settings will be used (ie Auto Flash is ON).<br /> Quoting the loose leaf addendum verbatim:<br /> * Temporary custom setting cancellation (00 0 00) - Set the custom function number to 00 0 00 and lightly press the shutter release button to temporarily cancel the custom setting and reset the function to its initial setting.<br /> * Reactivate custom settings (00 0 01) - Temporarily cancelled custom settings can be reactivated by setting the custom function number to 00 0 01 and lightly pressing the shutter release button.<br /> Having discovered this critical step, I have been able to use the Custom Functions with confidence. Hope this helps other 35 ti owners who may have been driven beserk by a seemingly unresponsive camera.</p>

<p> </p>