myself everything). I always assume (probably incorrectly) that shooting with

my back to the sun as much as possible is better than shooting into the sun so

I don't get a silhouette. As this now seems to be incorrect, some times at

least, then what do I need to do differently in settings to shoot with the sun

in front of me? I use either manual or Av. Here are some examples from last

weekend.

Thanks,

Mark<div>00MjzN-38808784.jpg.965668f1550c57221820d34d3654e901.jpg</div>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00MWog">This thread</a> and <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Min2">this one</a> are worthwhile. Nothing wrong with your shots neither in term of exposure. Often time you can't dictate on which team has to play facing the sun and have to cover it journalistically thus making the best out of situation. Having said that, I typically prefer backlit scene in harsh sun to reduce contrast and retain detail in as wide a dynamic range as possible. Just make sure to meter accordingly so you won't get just the silhouettes.

Thanks Wilson, I had already checked out the latter link you gave which led me to post but had not seen the first. When shooting back lit I guess I just want to meter off of a player to get my exposure in the first place and assuming light is reasonably constant go manual (which I try to do). If I'm having to shoot Av (not a Tv fan as like to control dof etc) how would you suggest metering for this? I have only one match this Saturday as I'm shooting a wedding in the afternoon but want to give this a try if the weather is right.

Thanks again.

Mark, shooting aperture priority in back lighting, I'd first try center weight and over expose by 1-1.5 stop. Manual exposure is preferable if the lighting condition and your shooting angle remain constant. When you do wedding, then use fill flash to both lighten up the shadow area as well as put sparkles in subject's eyes. Have fun this weekend. ^_^<div>00MkIZ-38815884.jpg.99f8cf2f43596c8efc0f34e468ce86df.jpg</div>

Thanks again Wilson. Over here I have to use Av quite a bit in sports as there is nearly always some cloud about so will give that a bash. With the weddings I'm OK with that as I have more control over positioning so that doesn't worry me.

Happy shooting.