Nikon Scanners, Vuescan, Digital Ice, Kodachrome and the Intel iMac

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

<p>The Amazon Customer Discussions has a recent post detailing an approach to using ICE with Kodachrome formulations that are problematic. I have not yet tried it because I am a Photoshop neophyte but wanted to pass this on to this active thread.<br>

US Aussie writes:</p>

<blockquote>

Hi Mr Bell,<br /> Here's what to do with Kodachrome slides and ICE. Do one scan with ICE off then one with ICE on. Save the images then open them in Photoshop. Select the no ICE image and copy and paste on top of the ICE image. Now using the erase tool erase the top layer in all the blurry or less important areas. Now in the areas you want really sharp use the erase tool at a small size to remove visible dust. So effectively you use the ICE layer in areas of less importance and the sharp layer with spot erase for the rest.<br /> <br /> I just learned this technique from my volunteer work at the Academy of Natural Sciences where I am scanning bird pictures done on Kodachrome. The Kodachrome emulsion is thicker and applied different to other slide types and so ICEd images come out more blurry than an Ektachrome slide would. This double scan method seems to work well - but the scanning takes longer.

</blockquote>