shooting a baby

zingaro

Man, I love saying that. So, taking a one-month-old's portrait, and my options

are window light and/or strobe. Never done a baby shoot before, but my

instincts tell me that babies don't like strobes very much. Tho maybe the pop

is so quick that it'll just confuse him, not aggravate him.

Any thoughts on this matter?

My experience is that small caliber is always best - a .22 should do the trick. No sense in wasting the fire power of a larger caliber. Oh, wait! I guess I should read the question first! Seriously, I'd prefer the gentle, softness of natural window light (Northern light filtered through sheer curtains is always the most beautiful) but if you have to use strobe you can bounce it off the ceiling or wall. I find angling the flash to hit at the spot where the ceiling & wall meet provides the most flattering light.

At 1 month, you should have no problem with a strobe, especially considering I'm sure you'll be diffusing any artificial light source.

My 3rd son is coming in 8.5 days, and, as with his 2 older brothers, he's going to get plenty of flashes that first day. Never had a problem or complaint, though the flash is always bounced or diffused.

Ha, thanks guys. It's true, most "modern babies" (great magazine title idea, hmmm) will be used to on-camera flash - I was more concerned about the scarier off-camera strobes. I'm hoping for window light. Only have about an hour to shoot before the sun goes away. Hope that's enough time. Hope he's in a good mood.

I photograph many babies with strobes and large softboxes. They don't seem to mind the light with the softbox diffusion. In some cases, it will actually calm the babies down. I have research many articles/opinions on the effects of lighting in a newborns eyes and have not found much information on any negative effects/damage caused my external lighting. That being said, using natural light with infants can be beautiful when properly controlled. Good luck! Post some when you are done so we can take a peek.

I'll have to completely disagree that natural light is "better". It's just different. If you know how to use strobes, they can look like natural light. I shoot using strobes, with softboxes to modify the light. Does not bother any of the babies I shoot. If I can figure out how to upload some examples I'll post some pics.<div>00MiY9-38768984.jpg.045c9579b1ee155bd49c7b0ed02899fe.jpg</div>

look at Ian's photos and you might really believe that natural light is better. I like any good light that's available and have used a strobe while photographing a couple of babies. They didn't even seem to notice the light, but they did grow more animated as the session went on. Maybe it was all the fuss from Mom and Dad. I don't really look for opportunities to photograph babies. They get more interesting to me around 5 or 6 years old... t<div>00Mio0-38774184.jpg.5381fb31fa1e62ab725e8109452a75da.jpg</div>

if you're using strobes, I would recoment a shoot through umbrella or a softbox...just remember the most important thing with shooting babies is the angle of the head, make sure the eyeline is right or you can get REALLY unflattering head proportions. Working with a one month old, once you get lighting set up you need to make sure you have your posing down, and a TON of patience because that is not an easy age. Good luck!