Pin Hole Hasselblad

brian_walton

I bought a finely machine metal bodycap with pinhole for Hasselblad some time ago. Used it with slide film and using the given aperture value obtained fine results. With a rigid focussing hood and Acute Matte screen it was even possible to frame with the viewfinder. Though I'd hate to part with mine I would reluctantly consider a trade if you have heavy CF-glass (40 or 500) for trade.

Ulrik

Yes, when first venturing into pinhole work. I cut a disk of black card then fashioned the actual pinholes of different sizes in various materials until I arrived at one that delivered the desired image quality. You can see the result at this thread: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KBZc

I also fitted the pinhole plate assembly to extension tubes and the bellows extension. Using the hole at different extensions is a good teaching aid, explaining focal length and illustrating the calculation of relative apertures, and subsequent exposures.

Back to the actual pinhole, to measure it, I fitted it to the negative holder on an enlarger and magnified it to a known scale and measure the projected circle. This also helped check it for roundness. The cleanest aperture, in the thinest material possible delivers the best resolution. Pinholes sold now as such, are usually laser cut in thin brass.

However, I wouldn't buy one, because the satisfaction for me is the creation of everything from scratch. The Hasselblad served merely "test equipment".

Cheers, Kevin.

I brought a similar pinhole for my Nikon slr and the results were ok. The Nikon has a focal plane shutter so 1/4 and 1/2 second exposures were easy to accomplish. I was using 400 ASA film in bright daylight.

However, I have not considered trying one for the Hasselblad because the 1/4 to 1/2 exposures would be hard to time without a shutter. I don't think that I would switch to 50 ASA film to have a timeable exposure to a few exposures for World Pinhole day [this is usually the last Sunday in April => see http://www.pinholeday.org/]. Yes, I do know it would be only 12 exposures.

Steve

If you're really into pinhole, there's a show in NYC collecting entries right now called It's Krap, I believe, and it's for photos taken with pinholes, Holgas, plastic lenses, etc. I've worked with pinhole before, I made two different ones out of tins, and they do have some beautiful results. I'd recommend playing with them. I have seen some really beautiful pinhole Hasselblad photos.

I bought one and had some worthy results. The shutter issue for me was to use the barn

doors with a locking cable release. At f 250+, time exposures were the norm, usually

several seconds at a low iso in the sun. Fun depth of field and a gritty primative look not

common for Hassy users. I have yet to try it with my bellows and work out the exposure

including reciprocity. It would seem to cut the angle of view and increase sharpness. I say

go for it! Let go of Carl Zeiss fo once!

Nick

• 7 months later...

Brian I have a 1/2 dozen pinhole and zone plate caps that I used with my hassey...took a

break from that work for a while... but recently purchased a another V body specifically for

this purpose...I Use a sekonic Incident meter and EV ratings to measure the basic light

values of a scene and then bracket to give me a decent chance at the exposure i

want...took some time and testing to dial in a table of exposure related to EV that works

for me...especially if one is to use different film stocks...all sorts of factors...contrast,

reciprocity etc etc....definately not a precise scenario...things have been made easier for

me now when it comes to getting the final product as I have abandoned the wet darkroom

for drum scans, photoshop and high quality inkjet output...much more control of the final

output..and i really love the new Hahnemule papers...lensless photography with a

hasselblad...BLASPHEMY!!!...but i love it.