Feel embarrassed...use of lens hood

I got lens hoods for each of my Olympus Zuiko (I have an Evolt).

I understand the purpose of the lens hood, and every photographer I've ever

seen has their hood glued on permanently. But when I use the lens hoods that

came with the lenses...my shots are vignetted by the black edge of the hood-

unless it's a straight ahead and level flat shot.

Is this because I have a 4/3rds system and that vignetted area is image space

that I wouldn't have with a non 4/3rds system?

Should I just adjust the framing of my subjects from now to compensate for the

knowledge that I won't have the outside edge of the viewfinder when using the

lens hoods, or am I misusing the things?

The hoods you bought are unsuitable for the lens so you can buy hoods which do not vignette or else cut back the hoods you have until they stop vignetting, after making sure you have them mounted correctly as Don suggests. It is nothing to do with the camera being a 4/3 but a simple physical obstruction of what the camera lens sees.

The hoods came with the lenses (one kit lens 14-45 mm and one macro lens; bought new for Evolt E300). I've taken them off and put them back on so many times and they aren't interchangable so I know I'm using the hoods that came with the lenses.

It didn't make much sense to me but I'd never used a 3/4's system before this camera and I've been getting aggravated lately to not be able to use the hoods because I do need glare protection.

I have no filters on at all.

One of hoods has small cut-outs/divets, 4 of them-I assumed that was to prevent the kind of vignetting I was seeing. The other hood is just a pure solid tube shape all around.

All things being shared from you guys, the only thing I can think of is that Im' installing the hoods incorrectly every single time which is hard to imagine since they're just a twist and a half to get on. I don't get it.

If the hoods lead to vignetting, they simply don't fit the lenses you are using them with. Sounds like you you didn't make the mistake, but either the shop you bought them at or even Olympus itself. It doesn't matter - you need other hoods, or you need to shorten the hoods you have until they no longer vignette.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you are getting them on wrong. I had the same problem for months until i figured it out. You must put them on with the white arrow aligning on the dot on the lens. The problem is that the hood also screws on if you don't align it correctly. In this (wrong) case it is slightly harder to turn, and since it doesn't screw in to the end, it causes vignetting.

Hope youy solve your problem,

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

I think Fred is right. I had the same problem with the 14-45 lens and its hood when I first got my E-500. I actually contacted Olympus about replacing what I thought was a defective hood. A really helpful guy in customer service had me describe what part of the printing on the hood was lining up with the center of the hot shoe and the camera, and then told me to twist a little harder - and it snapped right into place! (The center contact of the hot shoe, the focal length index mark on the lens, and the "e" in Lens Hood on the hood should all line up.)

All I can say is that I grew up in the "if it doesn't go easily, don't force it" school of handling camera equipment.

Good luck,

Eric