Good Photgraphic Magazine

bruce_karnopp1

Let's start with: I don't shoot large format.

But, I also have become sick of photmags that focus entirely on digital and are so chock full of advertising.

Nowadays, I read only a few magazine regularly. Lenswork is the only one I subscribe to. I also read B&W regularly. I do pick up the odd issue of CameraArts, Silver Shotz and Aperture when they haven't dived too completely off into the pretentious end of the contemporary art scene (which they do a lot for my taste anyways).

Of course these mags are very different beasts than the three you mentioned as they have no equipment reviews and focus on portfolios of artists with only a few articles too.

For a better equip./article/image mix I like Photo Life (a Canadian photo magazine). Photo Life is very much like Shutterbug and the like. It is equipment and technique focused with product reviews too. It is quite digital and quite 35mm focused . But, there are some film-based articles and quite a few film submissions still.

Also consider looking into magazines in the fields of photography in which you are interested. I greatly enjoy Nature Photographer since it is focused only on nature and wildlife (and landscapes with wildlife) photography with focused and directly relevant articles in that area. I'm sure similar publications exist for other areas of specialization.

• 2 years later...
<p>Since Silvershotz is mentioned here, I will add my vote that it is an excellent publication, good print quality. When I considered paying about $1,000 to be listed in Silvershotz Folios 2009 I searched everywhere to find photographers in previous Folios who could tell me if it was useful in terms of promotion; I only found 3 and only got one affirmative answer. A year after being published there, I can say that I have not been approached by any gallery or collector, curator, etc. as a direct result of publishing in Folios 2009. I hope this is useful to someone else considering it.</p>