How good is the FD 400mm f/4.5 SSC?

mark_pierlot

I have an opportunity to get an FD 400mm f/4.5 SSC, and was wondering whether

anyone has had any experience with this lens that they'd be willing to share.

I already have an FDn 300mm f/4 L (and an FD 1.4x extender), and am under the

impression that the L series telephotos are much better than the non-L's. Is

this a fair assessment? I realize that L series lenses are more expensive, but

since I've completed my shorter telephoto, normal, and wide angle FD lens

collection, and am going to take my time acquiring longer telephotos, cost is

not really a factor. Thanks in advance for any advice in this matter.

Since I recently picked up a nFD 400/4.5 I'll just say that my quick tests to make sure I had a good sample have proven to me that this is a sharp and very capable lens even wide open. When I get a chance I'll post a few images. My initial testing was photographing things in the yard handheld and with a monopod. I need to get a decent tripod and head before I start using it regularly. All the reviews here and elsewhere support what I'm seeing. I also have a nFD 300/4 non L and it isn't as sharp wide open but that probably has to do with the fact that it's a non L. It does get reasonable sharp at mid apetures. I'm tempted to sell the non L 300 and get the L version but that might lead to collecting L glass.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Is there any difference between the old and new FD 400mm/4 other than the smaller minimum aperture on the latter (32 vs. 22)? And is this aperture difference significant? In other words, should I hold out for the newer version? (Both, I believe, have internal focusing).

If you ever find enough light to use a 400mm lens at f32 don't looks at it you'll go blind. I get all giddy when I can ramp mine up to f8 Remember you won't be shooting at 1/125th of a sec with 100 asa film not with a 400mm.

optically the two versions are the same.

I think the confusion comes up because the mir site and the literature on the lens that C. Rollinger keeps at his site seems to suggest the needed modification to the 400 and it's hard for a newbie to long lenses like me to distinguish if it's for the FD sometimes referred to as ssc or breech lock or if it's FD referring to the New FD mount. When I'm confused I rely on long time user's to clarify things for me.