MacPro and drive setup for max image file safety

I'm setting up a new MacPro tower for photo work and puzzling over the most

appropriate drive configuration to ensure data safety.

I'm looking at a three internal drive set up, with drive 1 and drive 2 mirrored,

and a third drive partitioned to hold extra files and a Pshop scratch disk

partition. And then a fourth drive, but external, and connected only when

required, to create a removable archive of the image files only that can be

taken offsite.

Whilst I am familiar with bootable backups and have the software to enable this

and use it on my G5, running it manually daily, what I'm not sure about is

exactly what is the best way to achieve this with minimal user interference on

the MacPro which I wont be using all the time (someone else will be, who is less

competent so it needs to be easy to initiate and manage).

Seems I have two options -

1) Drive 1 is manually backed up to drive 2 at regular intervals as a bootable

backup; doing it manually ensuring the backup is done when stuff is deemed to be

safe (ie not backing up a corrupted drive). However this has obvious problems,

so I've read that this might be better:

2) Mirroring drive 1 on drive 2 automatically (Raid 1, no parity). Question is

how do I set this up? Can it be achieved by software or is this a hardware task?

Is the Mac is able to run this out-of-the-box with software? So I wont need the

additional hardware - I see the Mac Pro RAID card in the optional extras but at

550 UK pounds that seems a little steep.

The software I have been using Synchronize Pro seems able to do a lot and will

easily manage regularly scheduled backups, say every hour, but I'm not sure at

all about how this will work in reality, nor if it is what can be called a

'proper' way to achieve this 'raid 1, no parity' setup.

As you can see I'm into unknown territory here so any advice will be gratefully

received!

John, I'm not an expert in RAID, but here are some thoughts. I know that OS X can support

mirrored RAID out of the box, just go to Disk Utility to set it up. No need to purchase the

dedicated RAID card.

I have a similar set-up here and with regards to the backup, I use Intego's Personal Backup

X4 configured to automatically run a backup process when a specific external drive is

connected. I believe it can create bootable backup's, but it's worth checking. I currently

run a synchronise process.

Best thing i have done to get speed & security: add internal drive as RAID.

1_start from the DVD

2_go to disk utility

3_select the RAID option, then your 2 disk, then format them (you will loose everyhting indeed doing so..so make sure you didtn have any personal stuff you want to keep there)

4_Once done, its done : ) install a brand new system from the DVD and all the stuff you want.

5_Once the Mac is restart, you should see 1 big disk (let say you use 2x250 for the RAID) you should see one 500gig disk. Then if you have another internal disk you will see it under (in my case another 250gig)

6_The computer gain major speed, so everything is on it, software and client job BUT BUT BUT BUT as soon as i am satisfied with the setup that i have now i do a BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP ( i wont say it enough) to the second internal drive (in my case the 250 gig) using a backup / clone utility call INTEGOS PERSONAL BACKUP.

7_After a 1hours or so i have a perfect clone hard drive to this date. I restart to make sure it work. If it work, i restart again and start enjoying life.

8_Then everyday i connect a firewire 800 to backup my HOME folder that contain my preference, my music..and my client job! Using INTEGOS PERSONAL BACKUP i can define to only backup new change only.

9_Once a month i format the second internal drive to start over a fresh clone copy on it.

Seem freaky? yes. but you will never eard me saying that i loose anything, that all my family picture are gone etc...BACKUP is the main keyword everybody should use in there normal life. once you go the RAID road, you are a total idiot if you dont do so.

It is fast, its dangerous because if 1 drive fail you loose everything, but man it worth the price everyday..if you become a backup freak : )

No need to buy anything else except hard drive and backup software.

have fun.

Be careful before going down the RAID path...

I'd first find out if automatic backups to internal & external drives would meet your needs. The options

range from using Synk which backs up and also archives older changed files, to SuperDuper which is

good for just making a bootable copy. Both can be setup on an automatic schedule, with multiple

drives.

>>> It is fast, its dangerous because if 1 drive fail you loose everything,

Yep, which goes to my first comment....

www.citysnaps.net

Was not Brad, but me Patrick.

Depending of the RAID you set, 0 or 1, you can have 2 fast drive acquiring the information splited on both drive. Or have a slower RAID (not sure how slower?..im not a RAID and technical guy) mirrored everything on both drive, so if one fail, the other have all the info, like a automatic backup.

Since you certainly want speed, the RAID 0 is what you want, but he is also more dangerous, therefore you want to backup everything regularly.

Mac OS X can do RAID 0 and 1 via software, without additional hardware. (The hardware option is for server-grade use, removing load from the CPUs, offering higher levels of RAID, battery backup, etc.) For improved file security, which seems to be your goal, you want mirroring, which is RAID 1. (RAID 0 increases the probability of losing files.) If you combine two 250 GB disks via RAID 1, you will end up with a single 250 GB RAID volume, not a 500 GB. This is only part of a backup strategy. Apple has instructions on their website, try google. Also see http://www.macworld.com/2007/05/secrets/june07geekfactor/index.php. Some OS upgrades or firmware upgrades require a non-RAID volume, so your third volume is almost essential.

Thanks Michael. I think the Mac OS driven mirroring (Raid 1) or a similar software-managed (Synchronize Pro or the like) strategy is the way to go, with the third backup drive an external one and connected manually for the safety net. The only real need for 'speed' is to get Pshop's scratch disk doing its best and I think a third internal smaller capacity drive will handle that fine.

Michael - that link was very informative thank you.

I'm still a wee bit puzzled, and maybe you (or someone else) could clarify for me?

In a two disc mirrored set up which looks the 'safest', am I right to assume that the second drive is immediately bootable from? So if one drive goes down I can reboot off the second drive simply by restarting at which point the computer will look for a bootable drive and fire up from drive 2? Or is there a need to boot from a DVD and select the appropriate drive to use?

Then I imagine the defective drive is replaced and data restored to the replacement. How is this done? Is this a simple erase new disc and copy data to it, or is there some other more involved process (I ask because the initial start process requires quite particular steps in order to properly initiate the mirrored process).

Sorry to appear dense here - exploring new territory with all this!