I like your opinion about this buissness name.

gisela

Hi everyone,

i have been looking for a unique name for my buissness for a while now.

This is what i deceided on.

Li'l munchkins

PHOTOGRAPHY

I'm mostly going to do childrens portraits and was looking for

something funny as buissness name.

What are your thoughts?~Gisela

Gisela: If it's a slow month shooting kids' portraits and you start looking around for some other sorts of work, you might regret being that pigeon-holed. It's harder to sell yourself for product shots or corporate portraits, you know? "Mr. Smithers, the photographer from L'il Munchkins is here to shoot the Board of Directors - please have them gather in the conference room."

Also: "Munchkins" are a specific name from a book and the stage musical and film dervied there-from (The Wizard of Oz). You might want to avoid any possible copyright entanglements. Yes, that stuff is possibly past its statue of limitations by now, but even if it is, it might seem to some people like you're trying to enhance your own business by invoking someone else's creative work. It would be like opening "Hogwarts Photography."

I'm also a little concerned that the "Li'l" contraction is being over used these days... and also that it has been put to heavy use in the hip-hop/rap world. It just seems like too much of an affectation, I think. Just my taste, of course.

And, try to make some sense out of capitalization, punctuation, and spelling. You may want to get someone else to help out with writing your marketing material - that can make a big difference, in terms of credibility. Hope you don't mind the honest thoughts - just trying to be frank. Good luck!

Personally I don't like it for the reasons already stated. I'd suggest a few things to consider. Try to find something that sounds professional, and that doesn't narrow your focus too much. Example "Intricate Vision Photography". Second, consider the acronym, so in this case it would be IVP. If you're going to incorporate, you're going to need a rather unique/unused name, so generally a longer name will be better, something with a few words. If you can turn it into an acronym even better, it makes logos etc easier.

I run an I.T. (software) consulting company. My name is Advanced Systems for Intelligence & Communication, which shortens into ASIC. This has worked nicely for me, allows me a short web domain name, yet qualifies easily as unique when registering as a corporation.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks everyone.I appreciate your opinions.

I guess the professional and money making aspect isn't that important to me, sense I don't have to work and most likely just want to have

fun taking pictures.I can see myself running after the little ones

trying to get a nice shot:-).I'm going to give it some more thoughts.~Gisela

Hi Gisela - I have learned this lesson the hard way. The exact thing that Matt stated happened to my business. I started out as Giggles n Grins Photography. I chose that name in hopes of only attracting babies & children as I did not want to venture into other areas of photography. But as my skills and confidence improved and word spread, I am now doing weddings and senior portraits. In those occasions, I use GnG Photography but looking back I wish I just would have chosen Koch Photography or Images by Emily - something along those lines. I know it is not as creative but let you images show your creativity and not your business name.