Acadia National Park in early October - suggestions?

robert_wayt

Greetings from Oregon. I'm visiting my daughter in Maine the first week in

October. We are planning an overnighter to include Acadia National Park and Bar

Harbor (probably afternoon of Oct. 5 to the late afternoon or evening of Oct. 6

-- not nearly as much time as I'd like).

For those who've been there to shoot, what locations do you recommend most

highly and at what time of day? Obviously, because of the time crunch, I need

your HIGHEST recommendations. Thanks.

Bob

Great venue,

Sunrise or sunset from cadillac mountain summit is always interesting, see my single photos for a fogged in view from summit.You drive your car to the summit. There is also a pretty little foot bridge in Somesville which is very often photographed.

Probably the best light for late afternoon would be on the western side of Mt Dessert Island, head off rte 3 towards Southwest harbor continue south and then west around that part of the Island. There are rocky coast views, a nice walking path and a light house on that side of the island which is not as busy as Bar Harbor side of Acadia.

The suggestions above are okay, and ones that are very often photographed.

Some others are walking on the carridge roads, which are a very nice walk/bike to take pictures of the stone bridges, and the waterfall if you can find it.

Any of the little harbours around the island (bass harbour/Seal Cove/Tremont will be on the quite side), Pretty Marsh is quite nice also.

Park Loop Road (one way road) from Bar Harbor entrance is excellant for seascapes and vista photography of the Maine Coast.For great water action shots try Thunder Hole. All depends on tides and wind. Better shot on incoming tide with Wind blowing onshore- spectular crashing of waves in a small "canyon". Drawback is lots & lots people during the day say 9-5. Otter Cliffs and the trails around that area provide great seascapes. Be prepared for fog and quick weather changes. Downtown Bar Harbor can be good too. Jordan Pond for a glacier formed lake with good mountains on either side hopefully in full fall color. Bass Harbor Lighthouse is very nice too but some distance frm Bar Harbor even though still on Mt Dessert island. www.chrisalmerini.com enter site and choose galleries, then Nature>Maine Acadia for some images. Good Luck & try and squeeze another day in due to variable weather.

That's funny the mentioning of the "foot bridge". I believe the one in my post is the little footbridge they're referring to. Funny, I just got back from Oregon visiting my sister last week.

The evening of the 5th, drive up Cadillac Mtn and take sunset pictures up there with a super telephoto. Cadillac Mtn is weird in that, it's great for sunsets I found sunrises BORING, there's nothing on the east side of it (sunrise) except 3 little islands like 100 miles away. For sunsets you get mountains, views, trees, flowers, definetely best for sunsets (or if fog). Use ND grad filters to lower the contrast of the sky, blue/bold polarizer is a good filter.

That evening, enjoy yourself, hit a nice resturaunt. In Oregon it's not customary to dress up, sandals & shorts being normal resturaunt attire even expensive ones. The east coast sandals are no no at resturaunts (unless family resturaunts) and normal attire at most other than family resturaunts is Chinos, a polo (or short sleave dress shirt), some nice shoes & dress socks.

In the morning, head over to around thunder hole before the sun rises, bring a tripod, and be prepared to have your breathe taken away when sun does rises. Take pictures of the shore, and waves and the interesting rock formations and how the golden light hits it. Bring an ND filter to slow down the waves to help create a beautiful blur effect (and why the tripod is required), blue/gold polarizer also good.

After that, hop in your car and drive taking pictures of interesting scenes along the way (you'll have probably come across that little bridge mentioned), best taken in morning light.

Next, head over to the lighthouse. Find out the hours of the lighthouse, as I recall it opens later in the morning. Best taken with a blue/gold polarizer.

After that, it will probably be early noon or noon. Eat lunch (or breakfast), head to sand beach. Take pictures of the beach with a blue/gold polarizer and turn the camera around to take pictures of the grass marsh using a normal polarizer & wide-angle. Climb the path that brings you up to an overlook of sand beach and take pictures with a polarizer up there.

Then visit Thunder hole, hopefully it's making noise (since you're there). Head over to Jordan pond and take some photos, if time allows walk around it. There are 2 mountains once you come to the pont that look unmistakably like a womans chest. Use a wide angle, get some of the foreground rocks in, and I liked to use a blue/gold polarizer there. There's also neat colorful reeds in the water, take a closeup of them for something abstract.

Good luck!

Oh btw my timing may be way off on how far apart things are and what you can do in the time allotted.

In short the best to me was being around thunder hole area when the sun rose and lit up the cliffs & rock formations in golden light. Followed by the lighthouse, followed by Cadillac Mtn sunset, then Sand beach (that includes turning around and taking a picture of the reed grass in the back), then the scenic views driving around the road, then Jordon pond. In my opinion, if you hit the sunset at Cadillac Mtn, see the sunrise near Thunder Hole, and hit the lighthouse you've got the 3 most beautiful things in my opinion.