Limited dof - medium format

RaymondC

Hi, I am planning MF for a diff way of photog (and also LF).

Currently I am shooting 35mm and digital SLR.

I like the fast aperture lenses and wondering for a Nikon 200/2 or the Canon

200/1.8 what sort of image can I gather in medium format. I like the limited

depth. Given that lenses are longer in MF and the film size/sensor is larger

what is the result of that?

In particular I am foreseeing a Mamiya RB67.

I find I don't shoot a lot so a roll of 120 can be lesser than a 35mm roll.

It could be a good investment than on a lens that cost $4000. I don't do action

much at all, its really just the bokeh, limited depth I am after.

Thanks.

Depends what you are looking for. If you want medium format with equivalent angle of view to your 200mm on 35mm film, then you need about a 320mm in 645 format and 400mm in a 6x7 like the Mamiya RB67. However those lenses (if available) are going to be f/4 or more. Pentax do a 300mm f/4 for their 645.

<p>

If you simply wish to experiment with narrow dof and aren't too worried about angle of view, then you could consider a 645 with a 150mm f/2.8. e.g. Pentax 645 - 150mm f/2.8. But you are going to have to be about 1/2 the distance from your subject than with your 200mm on 35mm format.

<p>

Take a look at the dof calculator here:<br>

<a href="http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html">http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html</a>

<p>

Use the calculator with the following:<br>

35mm film, 200mm, f/2, 10 metres distance.<br>

6x4.5 film, 150mm, f/2.8, 5 metres distance.<br>

<p>

Quite similar results don't you think?<br>

Note however that the calculations are quite sensitive to distance.

<p>

You could purchase quite a decent medium format kit including fast 150mm (or similar) for the cost of one of those 200mm f/2 lenses.

<p>

RB67 is basically a tripod camera. Take it into consideration, as it limits the type of photography you want to do. If you want narrow dof high quality photography, and slow down a bit using film, then a Leica or Zeiss Ikon RF with some of the best lenses will give you quite unique types of shots. If you want to stick with MF, I think the Hasselblad F lens line ( for the 200 and 2000 series cameras)has some unbeatable optics for narrow dof, and this kit is much lighter than Mamiya.

I have used the Hasselblad 2000 FCM with the Tele-Tessar 4/250 and this surprisingly light

lens has a really narrow dof. Even the fat and heavy Distagon 2,8/50 will isolate the subject

if focused close - nice for smaller sculptures and other small things. Excuse my funny

english, Georg.