Fred Spira, founder of Spiratone, has died

john_gleason1

When Spira opened the store on 27th Street in 1946, its mail order specialty was supporting the then popular Mercury cameras. The mail order name, however, was "Spiratone Fine Grain Labs." Here is one of their early ads from January in 1947<div>00MaQE-38549984.jpg.b012310a96e3584defdce071cb38f3bb.jpg</div>

I think most people of my generation, the first to have eye-level pentaprism SLRs, have fond memories of Spiratone. Today Porter in Iowa and Adorama still have lots of neat little gadgets, but no one will ever equal the fun of reading a couple of pages of Spiratone ads. They were the photographic equivalent of the Johnson Smith ads on the back covers of the comic books of the 50s that offered things like "X-ray glasses."

Here's another early Spiratone ad from the end of 1949m showing how quickly the 'reach' of the store was being broadened. A couple of Japanese items are listed, but the star is a Kine Exakta for $99.49- a lot of money in 1949.

Sorry for the large pic, but smaller wouldn't do, I think.<div>00MaQW-38550184.thumb.jpg.1b35f32fcd7c99d1ec5d8ddf7c09979e.jpg</div>

You are more than welcome. Not only was it fun to read the ads, but the merchandise was always good, useful, and inexpensive. Many Spiratone items are still much sought after, such as the Portragon lens. Plus, the history of photography collection and book are treasures (http://www.spira.com/spira/home.nsf/home?open).

We all offer our sincerest condolences.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I am here a little late it seems... but wanted to express sadness on Fred's passing. He changed the photography

industry, He was one of the few "Honorable" Power collectors. In 1980 I went onto other endeavors with the adfvent

of the computer industry and lost touch with may of my photo history friends. I will need to find a copy of his book.

Thanks Fred, for all you did for all of us

Ed