Dealing with copyrights when adding audio to your flash slideshow

rannbphoto

My question is pretty straight-forward. I'd like to add an audio feature to my

online proof galleries/slideshows, but haven't taken the plunge yet because I'm

not sure if I'm going to run into copyright problems. Has anyone ever thought

about this? I'd like to know you all deal with the legal side of it.

This whole area is problematic and not really settled as to what is right and wrong. You can do some searches, but you will find differing opinions. Technically speaking any commercial use of copyrighted music is a violation of the copyright. However, many people still use copyrighted music, thinking that the big companies don't really care about small business owners using the music, or they won't want to spend the time and effort going after them. So far this is true, but there is no guarantee this will continue. To be safe, use royalty free music. Try stock20.com, where you can purchase fairly nice music for reasonable prices.

Unfortunately, I was using a particular piece of music on my website and about 2 months later I recieved a letter from Apple Mountain Records stating that I could use the song for a price of $3,000.00 per year or I had 24 hours to remove it from my website. So I definately recommend buying a license or not using music, or take the chance of getting caught, like I did......but thank God I had a "warning" before I got sued. So there really are Big Records Companies out there that DO track down small business owners.

Rachel,

I read somewhere while I was reading about photographers websites that pretty much people visit your site the first time they will let the music play but if they ever come back they will be reaching for a way to turn it off. I always toggle music the first time because I think its annoying... just my thoughts.

jim baker