firing multiple channels simultaneously with CLS

johndc

Is there any way to fire more than one channel at the same time, from the same

camera, with CLS?

I am going to be doing some very tricky interiors and (believe it or not) 4

groups is not going to be enough. I'm thinking that if I could expand to another

channel, I would get another set of groups.

Is it possible to do this? I'm going to be using 3 SB-800's as the main lights,

and a bunch of SB-600's as accents.

Plus I'll be using FV-lock so the delay would not be a problem.

Thanks.

I think you'll need to stick with the four groups, crank the members of one group way up, and then use something to tone down some of the members of that group... like, some neutral density gel, for example. That way one of your groups could still have strobes at different ratios. Yes, it's Olde Timey, but it will work.

it might be stupid, but my first thought is to use SU-4 mode and manually adjust all of them...

my second thought is to (can it be done?) run a sync cord to a second camera (maybe via a pocket wizard or the ten pin connector) and use a second sb800 as a master on a camera that shoots but doesnt actually need to record the image. timing might be a little off, but perhaps you can use a long enough shutter to even trigger them both at the same time by hand.

There must be someone out there who knows how to trigger a nikon camera by shorting pins on the 10 pin connector... if you could make a switch that fires the two cameras at once you'd be golden...

A project for another day!

There are only 3 groups (A, B, C), and if SB-800 is used as a commander, it is not a group - it is just a flash. If you use SU-800 as a commander you have truly 3 groups only.

In each group you can have a number of flashes.

If that is not enough for you, you must use all manual power ratios for flashes and do your own experimentation and setup.

Multiple flashes in 3 groups should be sufficient to light any interior.

Are you sure what you want to achieve ? why 3 groups of multiple flashes is not enough for you ? Perhaps you will not see difference adding more then 3 group of flashes? Have you ever tried multiple flash setup ?

3 groups is not enough because I have three individual areas that need to be lit individually but photographed at the same time. It would be easiest (and quickest) to get three i-TTL setups going on separate channels and then trigger them all at the same time.

Yes I know how to use multiple lights, etc. and that is my second option. My goal was to make the workflow faster and easier.

To be honest I haven't shot that many interiors with it -- usually I'm out there with my 4x5 and Speedos*. But that is impractical in this case, with cables, tripod, etc. all over the floor. I'm shooting a nightclub during business hours, and I need to be relatively portable and discreet (equipment-wise) so that people can still move around.

<P>

It's something of a challenge, but I have a feeling it's going to be a lot of fun too.

<P>

*by "speedo" I mean "Speedotron", not my sexy swim suit.