steinheil 50mm 1.9

marcantel

Hi Danny,

Steinheil made some lenses for Leica: 4,5/35mm Orthostigmat, 2,8/85mm Culminar and 4/135mm Culminar. They made lenses as the mentioned Quinon for the Braun Paxette, too. These lenses do have the 39mm Leica-screw-mount but the Paxette has a longer lens-to-film distance. Steinheil made enlarging-lenses with E39 which were called Culminon. The Quinon is a good lense due to the radioactive glass in at least one element.

kind regards

Thomas

I have the Steinheil Quinon f2, a Sonnar copy. Very nice lens, but the rear elements are separating. Have to get that fixed soon.

The 39mm lenses can be made for Leica or Paxette, mine is rare and made for Leica, I even have the passport.

Don't know of any 50/1,9 fitting Leica compatible cameras. My guess is Paxette.

I have never heard of a Steinheil Quinon with M39 Paxette mount. The most powerful standard lens for the Paxette was the f/2 50mm Roeschle Luxon (which seems not to be worth looking for).

AFAIK Steinheil made only some standard lenses with f/2.8 (Cassar or Cassarit) for the Paxette with M39 mount. All other lenses with M39 made by Steinheil were made for Leica M39 mount.

There is a Steinheil Quinon with M39 Paxette mount but it is a 50mm/2. Can't recall if it was a coupled lens. There are many lenses for the Paxette. For 45mm: Kata, Cassar and Plointikar. In 50mm: Xenar, Tessar, Cassarit, Ultra-Lit, Luxon and Quinon. The Paxette has a register of about 44.0mm. Hence, you can't use these lenses on a Leica. You can use a 38mm/3.5 Staeble Lineogon-L on a Leica. Also there apparently is a Leica version of the Schneider Xenar but don't quote me on that one. Of course, as mentioned above, Steinheil made a wide angle, 85mm and 135mm for the Leica.

Winfried:

Why do you consider the Luxon not worth looking for"

Raid

I have never heard of a Steinheil Quinon with M39 Paxette mount. The most powerful standard lens for the Paxette was the f/2 50mm Roeschle Luxon (which seems not to be worth looking for).

AFAIK Steinheil made only some standard lenses with f/2.8 (Cassar or Cassarit) for the Paxette with M39 mount. All other lenses with M39 made by Steinheil were made for Leica M39 mount.