darren_andrews1

I am always taking pictures at events like softabll, cheerleading/football

games,dance recitals, tae kwon do events, soccer games etc. I would like to try

to sell some of the pics to the other parents. I'm not looking to set up

printing at the events but put them on a website or make 4x6 prints to show

them off so intersted parents could buy them. I would see most of the people on

a recurring basis so getting the pictures to them in a few days would not be a

big deal. Any help from someone who has done this on how they started up and

went about it would be greatly appreciated.

Just a word of advice, I would talk to the parents first and ask them of their opinion of offering this service. Or contact the school and have released forms sent home and information sheets available on your intentions.

There is a photographer that does this exact thing in my area and puts the images on a website for parent's to purchase. Many people became upset with this due to the photographs being unsoliciated. I am pretty sure you would need a release from the parents to place the images on a website, especially if they were for sale for anyone to purchase. You never know what creepos are out there.

I know you have the best of intentions and many parents would be happy with this option but I would get permission in the form of signed released forms filled out first.

Good luck!

Emily,

Thanks for the advice. None of the above events would be school related as they are private organizations. I would only be interested in selling directly to the parents not just selling any picture to anyone on-line. There are other photographers that take pictures at my daughters cheerleading games and post them on-line to view, and purchase (we never signed a release) and the prices are crazy. I'm just looking for the best way to get the images to the parents. I'm also just looking into this for fun and a to help support my hobby,but it may not be a viable option. I'm just looking for some help from anyone who has tried this.

Darren,

I have for some time now been doing what you are talking about. I take photos at school sports events, post photos on the Web, and parents have the opportunity to order prints. I make a small amount of money from the sales. I have so far shot exclusively at events that my daughter's school is involved in, and mostly (but not exclusively) at events in which my daughter is participating, although of course my daughter is in less than 5% of the shots I take. I've done it not for the money (which is pretty paltry) but for the practice.

My website is powered by SmugMug which allows me to set my own prices on prints and also allows me to prevent people from simply downloading the photos for free. Since I am not trying hard to make money here, I markup the photos very little, but that's my choice.

As for Emily's concerns about people objecting, I can add a couple of things. First of all, our school requires that all students sign a photography release at the start of the year, and I think this is common in all schools. In any case, I've never had an objection from anybody. Of course, I know the coaches and parents from my daughter's school, and they're all grateful to me for doing this. But I have been approached by parents or coaches on competing teams, in other words, by strangers, who have asked if I could take their team photo, that sort of thing. I will add that I'm always respectful of the authorities when I'm shooting and whenever I have the slightest doubt, I ask for permission rather than assume. I can't remember the last time I was denied permission. Last weekend I had to stand right next to the ref during a volleyball game because of the unusual design of the court. I asked the ref, explained that I wasn't shooting flash, and he said fine. At the big swim meets, I am able to get a pass to get down into the pool area of the natatorium -- most parents are forbidden into that area. The coach of my daughter's swim team knew that I was photographing all the events and gave the okay to get me a badge. I shot 800 photos in the next five hours. I usually offer them my business card when I'm asking for permission. Act like a pro, and they'll treat you like a pro. Act like a parent, and they'll treat you like a parent. ;-)

One last small note in response to Emily Koch's quite valid concerns about creepos. I post my photos and usually they're publicly available. But I usually don't provide any personal info about the subjects. These days, I don't even bother any more with first names.

Darren,

Use a site that allows you to upload pics and let parents/players view at their leisure. The site I use is Smugmug.com They allow ulimited storage and batch uploads. They have diffent levels of membership that will fit your business. I set my own prices and smugmug takes the orders, accepts credit cards, prints the order, and ships to the buyer. For their service smugmug retains 15% and mails you a check. I do high school sports/events, club sports, and portraits. This is a hobby for me...I don't make a living at it but it is enough to pay for a good portion of my equipment. They let you sign up for a full featured trial account for 7 days so you can test drive it for free. If you use the following code when you sign up they will take $5 off your membership no matter what level you choose. Qj2D7W0vzU3ys Best of luck!