used Fuji S5 - what to look for

marilynb

Hello,

Tonight I'm going to check out a used S5 that I found on an online classified

ad. What should I specifically test out and look at to make sure it's

operating well? I've never bought used before. The price is decent. I'm

afraid it'll go quick if I don't grab it.

Thanks, Marilyn

B&H is still selling it at US$1800. Are you sure that it is around Canadian $1850 new? I know that C$ is almost on par with the US$, but generally prices are much higher in Canada.

The S5 was introduced earlier this year, so any used one cannot be all that old. I wonder why they are selling it at such a low price. I am afraid that there is a catch.

I would double check whether it was originally purchased in Canada; ask for the original receipt, warranty card, etc.

The S5 is a very unique camera, it's quite possible that someone bought it and was unsatisfied (It's a fair bit slower than the D200 it's based on, as low as 1.5fps when using the dynamic range expansion, and the UI for the menu system is odd to say the least).

I can understand that somebody bought an S5 but it turns out not the camera he/she wants. The question is that Canadian $1250 seems to be unusually cheap for an S5 that is at most a few months old. Essentially you want to make sure that it is not defective and is sold by the rightful owner.