clemente_jandayan

I've been wanting to buy a DSLR camera for the last 2 months and still doing

more research on which camera is best for me. I recently borrowed a Nikon D70

from a friend of mine last week and was amazed of the quality and speed. After

reading many, many reviews on DSLR, I narrowed it between the Nikon D40 and

the Pentax 100D. Also, my budget is under $600.00. Both camera got great

review although I did noticed that the majority out there thinks that the

Nikon D40 has better image quality. In terms of price, lens, and anti shake

reduction of the Pentax 100D, it is a better buy for my budget.

My biggest concern is the quality? Is the Nikon D40 really that much better

compared to the 100D or the Canon XTi. How about shutter speed compared to the

D40, is it that big of a difference?

Thanks in advance,

Clem

<p>Clem,</p>

<p>Ah, the eternal question, "What camera should I buy?" Nobody else can answer for you, because there's no one right answer.</p>

<p>Advice commonly given in response to this question is, "buy the system, not the camera." It's good advice and I'll second it myself. Now, depending on your personal goals as a photographer, it may be that one system is better than another. The problem is, if you're new to digital SLR photography, and especially if you're new to photography in general, well, you may have no idea which system you will end up preferring. If you have some idea about what you want to do with the camera, it might help us to know what those ideas are. But I'll tell you in all honesty that, if you're just getting into digital SLR photography, you may change your mind about what you want to shoot.</p>

<p>I am going to assume that you don't already have a collection of lenses compatible with one brand of camera or another. If you did, say, you had a bunch of Pentax lenses already, then it might make fairly obvious sense to stick with Pentax. But I'm assuming you're starting from scratch.</p>

<p>I dealt with this question myself a year ago, before the Nikon D40 was released. After surveying the field, I decided on the Pentax K100D; and I later upgraded to the outstanding Pentax K10D. I'm very happy with my decision, especially now that I have the K10D, which is a heck of a camera. But if the Nikon D40 had been available late last fall, well, it would have made my choice harder.</p>

<p>On balance, the Nikon D40 is a less capable camera than the Pentax K100D Super or even the older K100D (which is about to be discontinued). The K100D has shake reduction built into the body. If you have any thought of shooting either in low light or at longer focal lengths, then shake reduction in the body can be a real benefit (as you get it with any lens you have) and also a money-saver (as you don't have to keep paying for it). Note also that the Nikon D40 does not provide in-camera auto-focusing. You have to buy special lenses that have focusing motors built into them, and these are more expensive. The K100D seems to have a more sophisticated focusing system, offers bracketing, and provides an LCD for viewing settings that the Nikon D40 lacks. Although I haven't shot with a Nikon D40, from everything I've read and from seeing and holding the camera, my sense is that I would much prefer the K100D's ergonomics.</p>

<p>The D40 has been designed to be good -- but also cheap and small. To meet all three of these goals, Nikon simply removed a lot of things that they don't think people buying this camera are going to want. The <a href="http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d40x-review/">DRCP review of the D40X</a> notes:</p>

<blockquote>Much to my surprise, my 1.5 year old 50 mm lens doesn't have one -- in fact, there are no "primes" with AF motors until you get up to the very expensive super telephotos. Back when I wrote the D40 review, a Nikon source told me that they expect the majority of D40 users to not use anything but the kit lens. Well, I don't know about that, but the bottom line here is if you want to use primes or older lenses, consider the D80.</blockquote>

<p>My impression is that the Nikon D40 is also a somewhat less capable camera than the Canon Rebel XTi, although most reviews note that the build quality of the Nikon is better. The Nikon D40X (the newer 10 MP version) does compare favorably to the XTi, but costs more than the original D40. The Canon cameras have battery grips available. Neither the Pentax K100D nor the Nikon D40/D40X do.</p>

<p>Anyway, it's not just about features. It's hard to say that you would go wrong if you decided to buy into the Nikon line of products. I think the Pentax offerings in the under $1000 market are unbeatable values. But the Nikon line will give you unlimited room to grow. As a Pentax photographer, I worry about that just a bit. Buying Canon or Nikon is a safe choice and there is nothing wrong with that. You'll find a lot more other folks using your camera than you would if you bought an Olympus or even a Pentax. More local stores will stock stuff for you to buy off the shelf.</p>

<p>The D40 and the newer D40x are starter cameras. Either one looks like a really good start, at least if you aren't in a hurry to spend money on additional lenses. On the other hand, if you DO have the money to spend on lenses, and if you have ambitions about shooting more than family snapshots with the camera, then I'd consider getting a higher-model Nikon to start with.</p>

<p>But the best way to make this decision is to try the cameras out for yourself. If you decide to buy online in order to save a few dollars, be sure to buy from an outfit like Amazon, B&H or Adorama that has a great return policy. Make your decision, buy, and try the camera out for a week. If you decide you don't like it, take it back. You can certainly find a Nikon D40 to hold in your hands at almost any camera store in the USA; and good camera stores should have some Pentax cameras, too. You can't really go far wrong with any of these cameras.</p>

Glad someone else in the world doesn't think of 300mm 2.8 as primes.

I always forget the 200, 300, 400mm IS lenses nikon and canon make when I make the statement there are no IS/VR primes made by Canon or Nikon.

As far as the IQ, I'm doubtful the images from the D40 are vastly superior. Most people who use multiple systems and have no axe to grind (that is didn't bail on a brand) say that just about all SLRs at a given pixel count have almost identical IQ when you shoot in RAW.

The key thing is to shoot in RAW if using an SLR to get the most from any camera.

As far as shutter speed, I think you mean shutter lag. And my impression of all DSLRs is there is no appreciable lag. Even my 2003 ist D (Pentax original digital camera) had no appreciable lag and was ready to shoot as fast as I could get it to eye level.

I don't think the two cameras in question are comparable. I suggest you "hold" each one in your hands, look at a scene thorough their viewfinders and try shooting... You don't need to download the images to your computer to "crown" the comparison!

Thank you all for your response!!! Most likely, I'll be getting the Pentax 100D! I just wish the retailers in my area such as BestBuy, CircuitCity and CompUSA has a model to get the feel of the product.

If Pentax would only push a bit on advertising on thier DSLR product, I think most retailers would actually carry it. It seems to me that Pentax K100D could actually be a popular product if more people know about it. Anyway, i think I'm sold for Pentax.

Thank you very much....

Clemente,

if you are OK with the build of the Nikon, you'll like the Pentax. Build wise the Pentax K100 series seem well made.

Pentax doesn't spend a ton on marketing because it doesn't have a ton to spend. as far as retailers they carry what they can move quickly. It's far easier to move Canon or Nikon because of their marketing budgets. Doesn't mean the cameras are better, just means people know more about them.

Some Dallas area Wal-Marts carried *ist series DSLRs for a while. I'm now 6 hours from

Dallas, so I don't know if they continued with the K series. You might check the websites of

some those bigger stores to see if there might me a sample available at a near by location

you haven't frequented...

I recently posted on the problems I have been having with my Pentax k100d. But I think I may just have a faulty camera and will have to send it in. It happens. I would just say that you should definitely try both cameras out at the store, if you have that option where you live. Try to shoot in same lighting situations, and note when (and if) the flash pops up in the auto setting when the light is relatively bright. I think the brightness of the viewfinder is also very important, but that probably has more to do with my age & eyesight. Nikon is supposed to be better in that area. If I were buying today, I'd go with the Nikon, but that is only because of my frustration with the Pentax pkg I purchased a few months ago. I haven't even opened up the 360 flash yet! I've been too busy just trying to take good photos! My first SLR was a Pentax K1000, and my second was the Pentax ME Super, and I could not have been happier with either of them. And if I do just happen to have a "lemon" and get a repaired or replacement K100D, I probably would be telling you to with the Pentax. But do look carefully at both of them before you decide.

Clemente --

You will find no shortage of Nikon fans recommending the Nikon D40 or D40x. There is just one, major problem with virtually all of them. Those Nikon fans typically have a D200 or at least a D80, and are wholly unaware of all the limitations and just "basic, missing features" in the D40[x] that the D200 (and D80) have as standard.

If you said you were debating between the Nikon D200 (or D80) versus a Pentax K10D, I could see how the views of Nikon D200 (or D80) owners may apply. But you are debating the Nikon D40 (or D40x) versus a Pentax K100D (or K10D). No contest. Pentax K100D over the D40, or K10D over the D40x.

The views of Nikon D200 or D80 owners are wholly inapplicable to a Nikon product like the D40[x]. Utterly ignore anyone recommending a Nikon D40[x] who does not actually own a Nikon D40[x], much less own a much better Nikon model like the D200 or D80.

Clemente --

Er, oversight on my part, that includes trying to base a decision on buying a D40 after using a D70 as well (as a D80 or D200). The D40 is an uber-crippled POS, and the D40x is a marketing mega-pixel whore. The K100D and K10D features and compatibility just smack the D40 and D40x silly.

If you were considering a D70 because you used a D70, that would be one thing. But you're considering a D40 based on using a D70. Not even remotely close, just like the D80 and D200 owners I regularly run into who bash me for recommending the K100D (or even K10D) as a good "entry-level dSLR" over the D40 (or even D40x).

• 3 weeks later...
I down graded from a D200 and heavy fixed aperture lenses to the D40 and it's light weight lenses. After purchasing the D40 my D200 and heavy lenses were left progressively behind at home. The lightweight D40 kit is a joy to use. I like the camera information on the lcd screen alot better than the top lcd equipped cameras. Once you learn the D40's controls one can whip thru any setting quickly. Who needs depth of field preview when you can snap a pic and check it instantly, after all no film is wasted. Battery power lasts much longer with the D40 compared to the D200. I haven't fallen for all the hype on megapixels. 6MP is plenty for what I need. If I needed more I'd move up to Med Format equip. I don't need a million focusing sensors and the D40 has met all criteria that my former D200 could provide. It's time to get rid of all the heavy stuff we lugged around everywhere. Why bother when you can purchase cheaper and run with a lightweight system that takes wonderful photos. My current kit is a D40, 18-55, 55-200 VR, SB-400. This covers alot of territory and situations. I plan to purchase the Sigma 30mm for a fast prime later on. I've seen marvalous photos taken with P&S's, after-all it's the photographer's vision not the machine's. My philosoghy now is light weight, low-cost, take more pictures, and have fun. If I ruin a lens I'm not out a megaton of cash.