mark_winter3

I have a F1N with the AE finder and I will be sending it out to get it CLA'd,

as I am just building my FD system. I do want a wide angle lens, but not a

24mm lens nor a 20, those are too wide. Between the two versions of the 28 FD,

which would you get? I am a wide guy true and true. What can I expect to pay

for a 28 these days?

thanks

MArk.

I had the 28 f2 ssc for a while and really liked it but I ended up using it in a trade for another F1 body. I did not have extra cash for the purchase and since I had a 24 2.8 ssc and the 35 f2 ssc...I felt the 28 was the logical choice to part with. I never had the 28 2.8 to compare it with. The 28 f2 was great for low light and I did miss using it for those times. I am not sure what they are going for but keep an eye on KEH bargains. I would guess they would be under a hundred bucks.

The 2.0 version, according to Photozone, exhibits slightly worse performance wide open, but better performance stopped down, less distortion, slightly more vignetting, less flair, and overall build is better. I saw a 2.0 go for $160 USD on eBay 4 days ago, whereas the 2.8 usually goes for $25-50.

Mark, You are welcome! I have to admit that I no longer use Canon FD equipment! :[ I switched to Nikon about 6 years ago after I married my wonderful wife. When I went with Nikon, I pretty much duplicated everything I had in FD. I do miss the FD system and have toyed with the idea about picking up another F1 and some primes and maybe the 80-200 f4 ssc again.

Wayne, I do have a Nikon SLR that I put together in 2005, piece by piece, F3HP/MD4, 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 85/1.4 all AIS lenses. I use the F3 alot. I just wanted the F1N to use also, because I think it is a great camera, and I know I will be using this camera as well, for some B&W and print film. I think it is cool that many different cameras from the 70's and 80's, people are clinging too and putting them back into use, as apposed to going full digital. I have a digital point and shoot which sometimes I use but not often. I love the weight of the F1N, the feel, the brass is showing a little. I know I will be pleased putting this F1N back into service. A 28mm wide angle is just perfect and the most useful less I have come to known. There is a 'zen' about a 28mm. I was once bent on a 50 SSC or a 55 SSC, but I keep coming back in my thinking as I use a 28 a lot on the F3, and a 28 is just perfect for street, close ups, cityscape, landscape. It just works better. I do not need any other lens. A F1N/AE and a 28mm wide angle lens. Just the perfect all round camera to go anywhere, do anything! I am content!

I am also very partial to the 28mm. If I may complicate your choice further, the very cheap 28 f2.8 SC is a real sleeper, showing, based on Gary Reese's tests, less barrel distortion than the FDn 28 f2.8. Both 28 f2's, however, show marginally less distortion and may be sharper at f2.8. Any of 'em will vignette at the widest couple of apertures. I use the Leica R 28 f2.8 (late 70's vintage) with those cameras, and I think any of these Canon FD 28's are sharper than the Leica at apertures wider than f5.6.

Hey Mark, Wayne I think has the desire to return to a F1N! It just is a cool camera. I think when you have one, everyone who does not have one or had one, wishes they had a piece of 80?s technology, as holding plastic DSLR whatever, does not have the umph! Many people are returning to film after a few years of machine gun shooting pixels.

Mark

I have both of these lenses and both are excellent. It's true that the 28/2.8 SC goes for very little. It's light in weight so it doesn't feel like much but it's very sharp. Since I got the 28/2 FD SSC I haven't used the 28/2.8 SC as much. If you don't need the extra speed the 28/2.8 SC is fine. I also have a 28/2 Kiron and a 28/2 Vivitar (22XXX...) in FD mount. These aree also quite good but the Vivitar is usually found with oil on the aperture blades. There is a later 28/2 Vivitar (28XXX...) which is smaller and rarely has the sticky aperture blades problem. There is also the 28/2.8 New FD to consider. It's smaller and lighter than the 28/2.8 SC and also sells for very little. I have read good and bad comments about it. Mine seems fine and it has more modern coating than the older 28. I don't have any experience with the 28/2 New FD.

Mark,

I return to the FD forum on a regular basis because I enjoy reading the posts and looking at the pictures that FD users take. And if I can answer a question or offer some advice then I like to do that too. I also appreciate manual focus equipment and that is all FD is...I wish p-net had a manual focus only forum for Nikon. I did not sell my FD gear because it was inferior or because I was mad that Canon abandoned FD; it was because I thought it would make life easier if my wife and I used one system. It really did not! She ONLY uses zooms and I primarily use primes so I still lug around a bunch of gear. Also, she likes her FM2 because it is light and I love using my F2. Over the last two years or so, I have seriously considered buying some FD equipment but I could never keep it in my budget. At some point the day will come when I can afford it.

A further foray into FD 28's - the 28 f3.5, in FL, FD chrome nose and FD SC versions. Until the first FD 28 f2.8 and f2, these 3.5's were Canon's only 28's. They are DIRT cheap. Try one at f8. They're diffraction-challenged at f16 and nothing to write home about at f 3.5, but they are so compact.

I have two 28/3.5 FL lenses. I agree that they are not too special wide open or near wide open. The 35/2.5 FL is much better wide open or near wide open. If I'm in a strict FL mood and I'm using an FX or an FT QL or a TL QL then I'll take a 28 FL. I prefer the chrome front and black front 28/3.5 FD lenses if a slow lens is in order. If you want to try a nice FL lens, look for a 135/2.5. I have three of these and they are very nice.