How much RAM to run CS2 seamlessly?

I just got a new iMac 20 with the standard 1 gig of RAM. I am bored with it's

speed running CS2. I'm wondering how much RAM will make a noticeable

difference? Will 2GB be okay or do I have to get 4GB to see the big difference?

I just went to crucial.com and saw that they only sell 1 GB bundles and didn't

see an option for 2GB sticks. Any other ideas where to buy, besides through Apple?

you can try OWC ( www.macsales.com ).. I have purchased from them 4x1gb sticks for my

macpro. But I had problems with the first order ( ecc errors ) and I had to return back As I live

in Azerbaijan, it costed me an almost $150 additional for shipping and customs.. Now all

work ok. macpro rams are different than Imac's and you need to be more picky about them.

If you live in US, than you dont have anything to loose, they have lifetime warranty and one of

best prices in market..

Just slightly over 3Gb is the max CS2 or CS3 can utilize - set your preference to 100% in the "performance" tab. Since you have an iMac, your max RAM is 4Gb - GET 4 Gb. 3Gb to run PS2 and the other 1Gb for other applications on your iMac. OWC is a good source - $100/Gb. On my first order, I also got sticks with ECC errors and had to return the memory but it was quickly replaced and shipping was on OWC. Buy the "Apple Certified" memory.

If you're running Photoshop CS2 on a new iMac, which is an Intel-based system, the best

money you can spend will be the upgrade to Photoshop CS3 along with a second Gbyte of

RAM.

PS CS2 is not a Universal binary and runs on Apple's Intel-based systems in emulation mode.

PS CS3 is a Universal binary and runs native on both Intel and PowerPC computers.

Godfrey

1_buy CS3, it will be a speed boost already

2_you need at least 2gig, 3gig will be good, 4gig will be the max and the best. For now CS3 is limited to use only 3gig.

If you put 2gig in it on if you leave it at 1gig for money reason, dont give 100% of your ram to it, the system will beave strangly in case you want to let say, download email or stuff for the internet or go to word at the same time..its best to gave him 80%, 100% if you have more than 3gig.

I buy my ram at ramjet.

I have a slightly older 2.16Ghz 20" iMac with 3Gb RAM in it and am running PsCS3. Even with 2Gb RAM there was a speed increase between PsCS2 and PsCs3, when I ran both in Rosetta (as I needed to initially) and a very noticable speed increase once I switched PsCS3 over to Universal Binary mode.

If money is tight I would get PsCS3 (upgrade from PsCS2 to PsCS3 is about $170.00) and one 2Gb RAM "Stick" for now and as soon as you can get the second 2Gb RAM card.

One last sppeding up trick: It always helps to have your primary Scratch drives on an external drive not on the same drive as your application. PsCs3 lets you specify and enable up to 9 or 10 scratch drives.

I got my 2Gb RAM card from OWC and have been running it for months with no problems.

OS X does not need 1.5Gb of RAM. Maybe if you have a two dozen other programs actively running and running at the same time and have your e-mail program set to check for new mail every minute.

The optimum % of RAm for Photoshop is arount 70-75% of available RAM. You set this in PsCS3 preferences.

When you can go up to 4Gb.

David,

On a 3Gbyte RAM Mac OS X v10.4.10 system, with Photoshop crunching away on a big batch

job involving processing 40 photographs and 12 other applications doing their thing

(including Mail, Safari, Lightroom, and BBEdit amongst others), there is 1.17 Gbytes of free

RAM available, according to the system's Activity Monitor.

Godfrey